Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Sanctions on Cuba hitting Coin collecting

Not sure if it is just EBay but I tried listing a regular 1946 coin from Cuba and EBay blocked it and said due to sanctions on Cuba it is illegal to sell or trade coins from Cuba. Anyone else come across issues lately?

Best place to buy !
Bronze Associate member

Comments

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

eBay belongs in Guantanamo.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 1:40PM

Silly policy

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭✭✭

Curiously enough, Heritage, Stacks, Lyn Knight etc have no such bans on Cuban items.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 3:01PM

This is an old topic and has been discussed before.

The Ebay prohibition of the sale of Cuban coins is an Ebay corporate decision dating from 2013.

It applies to all Cuban coins regardless of place of manufacture or date.

It has little to do with the US embargo from 1962, 51 years earlier.

I bought this coin and several others on Ebay before their prohibition:

Cuba peso 1953

I found this coin in a CoinStar machine in 2016:

Cuba 10 centavos 2013

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Utterly ridiculous. These coins were struck in Philadelphia.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Abuelo apparently EBay has not been able to cure itself. This was my first experience with such a rediculous policy.
    I did not read the 2013 discussion on the topic so I wanted to discuss this current incursion here. Thank for the link.

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

I understand that anything of Cuban origin produced prior to the effective date of the embargo is legal to sell in the US. But eBay, or any other company, can make whatever rules they want.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went round and round with ebay up to a supervisor level. That's when I was finally told they don't want to mess with scrutinizing which are legal to sell(pre 1962) and which are not! That statement was made after I confronted her with the fact that the coin I wanted to list was made here in the good ole USA at Philadelphia! LOL That did have her stumbling for a minute!

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 27, 2017 11:39AM

Well, this is the same eBay I've been going round with for the last week or so reporting that they are selling some brand new 'metal tokens/rounds' that are Nazi and Klan themed.

I've hit the 'report item' which ultimately takes me to a very specific form entry specifically naming these two groups as banned. I talked to two people on the phone and messaged them on facebook. The listings are still up.

Mind you, these aren't contemporary German coins or things of historical note. These are brand new-made-in-China (and shipping from there) items.

Ebay can't even figure these out even though they are in direct violation of their own policy. How on earth could they figure out something as nuanced as 'pre 1962' or 'made in the USA'???

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

A stupid policy for sure.