Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1917 "Broken Sword" Dcarr Moonlight Mint SOLD OUT Overstruck Peace Dollar

Sold Out at just 605 pieces.

Dcarr's interpretation of Anthony De Francisci recently rediscovered original peace dollar design, with the eagle clutching a broken sword to symbolize the end of WWI, subsequently rejected for fear it conveyed "defeat" rather than "peace".

De Francisci, Morgan, and Fraser oversaw the removal of these design elements before the production run of the peace dollar began.

This is a "high grade" example, as opposed the "bag handled".

Never removed from its original Moonlight Mint flip (which is why the images are shot through the flip).
Will also ship in Dcarr's original packing holder with the moonlight mint stamp.
The original outer cardboard envelope with Moonlight Mint return address available for an additional $5 to cover shipping.

Asking $225 shipped:

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
--Severian the Lame

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are beautiful.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

These are so cool, and even cooler knowing the backstory of how dcarr found Francisci's original bronze cast and used it to strike these.
    A classic.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 8:48PM

How do you know they are sold out?

I was thinking of ordering some more before the Web Site went down and last I checked they were still available.

Not saying they aren't sold out just asking?

Ok, figured it out,,,,

Current Status:
    Production with Die Pair 1 (“1917”) has ended.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

One and only bump on this piece, then it's back to the vault...maybe forever.
    It's a top notch example of this release. Get it or regret it! :)

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    How do you know they are sold out?

I was thinking of ordering some more before the Web Site went down and last I checked they were still available.

Not saying they aren't sold out just asking?

Ok, figured it out,,,,

Current Status:
    Production with Die Pair 1 (“1917”) has ended.

He's done striking them as well as all related 1917 items and they are "currently unavailable" on his site. Looks like the only shot at issue price now is if he happens to find a few lying around. I can tell you these were a huge hit at the ANA show. Every single one he brought sold, every one. $225 isn't a bad price at all. FWIW I've sold a couple in anacs holders for $300 each.

The more you VAM..