Home Sports Talk

A new season of uncompensated college football players.

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2017 3:38AM in Sports Talk

Brain damage though is forever.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

A degree is pretty good compensation. PLUS a showcase for possible professional career.

If you are just figuring out that running into things or people with your head might be bad for you..................well not much can be said.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are lots of schools that would have no reason to exist if you shut down that money pipeline. Most football players degrees are worthless anyway.

• CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Time to end the collusion of the NCAA and permit schools to compete for talent. Seems to work on the coaching side.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    Time to end the collusion of the NCAA and permit schools to compete for talent. Seems to work on the coaching side.

With Michigan's and Texas's endowments they would love a no salary cap era. Of course if there was a salary cap the distribution of the players wouldn't change much. You know some student- athletes take a scholarship because of the school. It's not always about the football factory.

Also if college players were to get paid then scholarships would be reduced dramatically as rosters would look more like 53. Those student athletes not making the cut would get screwed.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:

With Michigan's and Texas's endowments they would love a no salary cap era. Of course if there was a salary cap the distribution of the players wouldn't change much. You know some student- athletes take a scholarship because of the school. It's not always about the football factory.

Also if college players were to get paid then scholarships would be reduced dramatically as rosters would look more like 53. Those student athletes not making the cut would get screwed.

mark

Capitalism is not always pretty. Winners and losers.

Fear in the 1970's was that free agency would ruin baseball. They have survived.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    A degree is pretty good compensation.

As I always point out during these discussions - not every guy on the roster, not even every guy starting, is on scholarship.

And if "a degree is pretty good compensation", why isn't Nick Saban working for free classes at Alabama?

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think you can have 85 kids on scholarship in D-1. Maybe it's 83

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder what the percentages are of D-1 seniors graduate to the NFL ,and what percentage wind up asking " do you want fries with that? " . Whatever it is I'm sure its much lower for guys that come out of the armpit schools with a BA in basketweaving.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys really don't think ANY of these players are smart enough to realize their chances of making the NFL are slim and none?
    I sure wish I had a degree, would have helped me get promoted in a couple of my jobs. I'll never mock and ridicule someone with a degree.
    A degree is compensation. Paying the players instead of offering them an education is a foolish idea. The money will be soon spent but the degree will always be there.
    How would paying them work? Any ideas?
    Nick Saban has a Masters Degree in Sports Administration. That might have helped him land his current position.
    Players not on scholarship might be playing because they enjoy football. It's not a job until after they become professional. Apparently they can afford to go to school and walk on.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking of degrees...and not to toot my horn...I once had a job I dearly loved...literally. Then one day the earth stood still and I got fired...by the President. I got caught up in the Air Traffic Controller's strike of 1981. Poof, I was toast, and there was no market for fired Air Traffic Controllers.

Well, I licked my wounds and hit the local Junior college. I already had an AS in Aviation Management, but then focused on Computer Science...soon I had 3 AS degrees...I was in Daytona Beach, FL, where Embry Riddle Aeronautical University is located. They offered a BS in Professional Aeronautics, and the best part was they gave me 94 hours of a 129 hour program for life experience in my 7 years as a Controller. I parlayed that into getting 6 hours off of the MBA in Aviation Management program for life experience, and in about 2 years I found myself with 5 degrees, including an MBA summa cum laude. I could check a lot of boxes on an application. It wasn't easy, and I carried a lot hours, but the end was sweet. When I finally got hired, I moved up nicely, because of my degrees.

I'm not sure the degrees college athletes are getting really amount to much, don't know the stats, but I would think a very small percentile would reflect those student athletes who are enrolled in some serious stuff, while the majority are just flying through with a mediocre, or degree of no value. Perhaps some form of compensation should be allowed for students, but, I suspect at some point they would no longer be "students", but "on the payroll employees". I have no clue how to solve this issue.