Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2017 2-Coin Silver 1 oz Britannia Proof/Reverse Proof Set has been released limited 500 sets.

TurboSnailTurboSnail Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 23, 2017 6:23PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I just ordered one. :)

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like this one.

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO, one of the Royal Mint's best designs in a very long time.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great design, purchased one. Will the reverse proof with a limit of 500 from the Royal Mint now become the key to this series?

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2017 3:26PM

@bigmarty58 said:
    Great design, purchased one. Will the reverse proof with a limit of 500 from the Royal Mint now become the key to this series?

Hi Bob, I thought you quit collecting silver. ;) This set is a sleeper with very little publicity. 2016 (also limited to 500 reverse) was the first year. And you can still get it for under $300. There are only handful of information off google , and most of the silver Britiania collectors are not even aware of the set since it only releases in U.S with a single distributor and not royal mint.

A small number of collectors who know about it also refuse to pay the high premium and rather pay close to $100 for a regular proof. lol

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design, but all these things take a decade or so to settle at a point where there is some predictable, sustainable market value.

The money you lay out on these novelties is indeed money 'at risk'. The more money you lay out on these novelties, the more money you have 'at risk'. These are not 'sure things'. Six months or a year from now, there will be a newer BRM offering and the circus will move on to the next venue.

• Options

@BillDugan1959 said:
    I like the design, but all these things take a decade or so to settle at a point where there is some predictable, sustainable market value.

The money you lay out on these novelties is indeed money 'at risk'. The more money you lay out on these novelties, the more money you have 'at risk'. These are not 'sure things'. Six months or a year from now, there will be a newer BRM offering and the circus will move on to the next venue.

I do agree, it is a risky move to pay over 700% off spot for pair of coins. But that is with any modern coins. Silver Britannia has been around for 20 years, so like ASE it does has its own fans and safe harbor.