Home U.S. Coin Forum

Poo didn't say which planchet on holder, Calling Fred Weinberg

SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr. Weinberg might you know?
I know the US Mint made silver coins for over 43 Countries.

Comments

• ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess they ran out of room on that label.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

You posted this on another board, and nobody could come up with a planchet that directly matched. They may not know.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its a good thing CAC doesn't sticker mint errors :joy:

The more you VAM..
  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one is a mystery. AFAIK, in 1944 the US struck both 10 and 20 centavos for the Philippines at Denver. The 10 C is the only one that comes close (2 gms and .750 silver) to the label specifications. Perhaps this is on a blank for a different country. You'll need to search the 1944-D date for several countries in Domestic and Foreign Coins Manufactured by Mints of the U.S.

Just looked for you.

AFAIK, only two possibilities, I don't like either!

1944-D Curaco 1/10 Gld. KM#43 1.3 gms .640 silver

1944-D Netherlands KM#163 1.4 gms .640 silver

• ParlousJoeParlousJoe Posts: 451 ✭✭✭

The struck on 1.24 Grams 86.5 Avg. Plan on that holder isn't what your looking for?

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I don't know exactly what country
    that planchet was made for.

It could be one of the two coins mentioned above
    in Insider2's post, but this coin looked more like
    .90% silver, and not 64% silver, to me at least.
    (see the tag - PCGS determined it's 86%)

And although it looks like it could be a US silver
    dime planchet, the weight isn't close.

In this case, as some others, the only thing to do is
    check the reference books (such as Domestic &
    Foreign Coins Struck at Mints of the US - which I have)
    and if it can't be pinned down to a specific country,
    put the basic info on the tag, without stating a country.

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who uses 86% silver? Maybe someone did, but it not a fineness I recognize.

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

My vote is still for the Venezuelan 1/4 Bolivar. Altz & Barton's Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints indicates that 1,800,000 were struck at Denver in 1944. 1.25 grams, .835 fine.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 3:15PM

Did PCGS actually test the fineness, or did they simply use the submitter's own description?

If they did test it, how did they do so? Did that testing cost extra?

Weight could simply reflect a coin blank made from the "end of the roll" of silver where it starts to thin down.

This does not seem to be an important discovery. The coin type/date/Mint is very very very common. If people had a reason to look, they might find more - but no one is looking.

edited August 23, 2017 3:38PM

@BillDugan1959 said: "This does not seem to be an important discovery. The coin type/date/Mint is very very very common. If people had a reason to look, they might find more - but no one is looking."

You really think so?

@Jackthecat1 said: "My vote is still for the Venezuelan 1/4 Bolivar. Altz & Barton's Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints indicates that 1,800,000 were struck at Denver in 1944. 1.25 grams, .835 fine."

Looks like you nailed it. I hate being ignorant. That coin is not listed in my U.S. Government publication. Wonder why your reference is different?

Just saw a copy of that book on the Internet. I've got one at home. Very curious why the two books are different. Perhaps new info.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

The piece looks thin. How about a split planchet of unknown origin?

A ,900 fine U.S. dime planchet is 17.91 mm, vs. 17.00 for the Philippine 10 Centavo. Might a split dime planchet poke down into the collar? Yes, maybe. Would like to see the edge.

Fred...how did PCGS determine that .865 fine figure? Do they typically use a fancy (and probably accurate) x-ray test, or one of the simple testers coin shops use? What is the margin of error on those, and do they take mulptiple readings and strike an average? ? As others have said there was no .865 fine silver coin made that year. An incompletely mixed .750 fine coin might have areas of higher fineness that the tester could hit at random.

On the wild coincidence front, I am looking at "Foreign Coins Struck at Mints in the United States" by Ed Fleischmann, Phillip Steiner and Michael Zimpher, and it gives the weight of the normal Philippine coin in grains at 30.865 grains, the equivalent of 2.0 grams. The ".865" part of that weight matches the alleged fineness.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to scratch my head on the last part of that, but now I think I understand.

@Insider2 said:
    @BillDugan1959 said: "This does not seem to be an important discovery. The coin type/date/Mint is very very very common. If people had a reason to look, they might find more - but no one is looking."

You really think so?

@Jackthecat1 said: "My vote is still for the Venezuelan 1/4 Bolivar. Altz & Barton's Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints indicates that 1,800,000 were struck at Denver in 1944. 1.25 grams, .835 fine."

Looks like you nailed it. I hate being ignorant. That coin is not listed in my U.S. Government publication. Wonder why your reference is different?

The Fleischmann book says that the 1944 Venezuelan coins were struck in Denver in 1945 but dated 1944. Diameter 16 mm, so that would jibe with the weak rims. Possible that the 1944 Phillippine coin was struck very late in the year on a planchet made up for the Venezuelan coinage that did not take place until after New Years.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.

Checked the online copies of the Numismatist to see if they listed foreign coin production on a month to month basis in 1944. They only did domestic coinage.

Thanks! The government publication shows nothing struck for that country in 1944. Guess that is why.

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Jack nailed it. Especially in light of those being struck in Denver.
    I would think that even a 15 thousand dollar X-ray spectrometer would be accurate enough to test a piece of metal like this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file