Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

I think I just became a collector of Non-US Gold...

First post in the dark side.
I was at my local B&M the other day and saw some very attractive coins I was until then unfamiliar with. One was a 1915-S Sovereign(this one I was familiar with to an extent), one a (1914?) French Rooster 20Fr and one a Swiss 20Fr(Somehow the dates of these two escape me at the moment), all 3 in nice uncirculated condition. They had others but these ones really spoke to me. When I asked about pricing I was surprised to hear that they were only $10 over spot! I picked up the three and now I am itching for more... this could be dangerous. :neutral:

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome! There are definitely some bargains to be had!

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I have been picking these coins up for years. Nice designs with interesting histories at just over spot. If you like the French rooster 20 Francs you should check out the slightly earlier ones with the Angel Writing design.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• I posted these coins under the discussion of "Box of 20"

Only to give the guys an idea how the coins look ...

Small gold coins, relatively cheap to collect (in most cases), and some with low mintages (South African 1923 sovereign = Incl proof mintage little more than 700 and 1924 sovereign = just over 3000) Very collectable with high value.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the French 20 Fr roosters. From what I understand the later dates have all been restruck. I do recall that the difference between the originals and the restrikes, while both struck in .900 Au, is in the appearance of the color of the gold. Can anyone confirm this or shed any other light on the matter? I imagine these high grade coins often found just over spot are the restrikes?

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

What grabs me where it hurts is remembering the Spanish Colonial gold like 2 and 4 escudos that were also in the "junk" tray.
    Egyptian chariots, Philippine 4 pesos ..ALL..!
    sizes Napoleon gold.... 20 FR and 40 Fr........ oh, I can't go on....

Almost ditto worn CLASSIC HEAD US gold. Owooooo...... :'(

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why isn't it holding pix this morning? :#

In the scrap box. :'(
    Many others I never imaged.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay, thanks for the comments and suggestions. Definitely some things to look into here!
    Here are the coins, the Sov has a tag that says "Bowers and Merena 8-14-00 #001803 ANA Sale Lot #3292", the rooster has a note "Steinberg's April 18, 1997":

Collector, occasional seller

• Just a word of caution to the people not familiar with the "Sovereigns"

There is a "small" difference between the half sovereign (19.5mm) and full sovereign (22mm)
    Without feeling the weight of the coin one might mistake a half sovereign for a full sovereign.

But i believe you are all "old school"

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Very nice coins at a great price.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC