Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Worst Pro Player ever that you liked/collected?

Maybe they were great in college, perhaps they excelled at the amateur level or maybe they peaked their senior year of high school. But, when it came to the professional level they were a bust. A waste. A bench warmer. A nobody. A turtle.

You liked them, though. You loved them. You didn't care if they kept getting sent back to the minors (ex. my boy Tyler Naquin).

And, thus, you collect(ed) their cards. Their autographs. Their memorabilia. The liquid they sweat. The air they breathe. No one can tell you who is cool and who isn't. You like what you like.

Who you got?

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

2001-2003, I was 100% all-in on Mark Prior!

I have not collected the cards of pitchers since... In fact, in the past 5 years, I can only think of one post-1990 card of a pitcher I've purchased for my personal collection... a PSA 10 Mariano Rivera RC.

Since my Prior days, my motto has been... It's a (hyped) pitcher... buy, grade, then flip ASAP!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bruce Boisclair & Mike Vail

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

Not so much anymore, but back in the 1990's I collected John Cerruti and Dave LaPoint because they were from the same city as me lol. I met Cerruti at a card show back in those days and was a very nice guy. I still have his auto from that day buried someplace lol.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Here is a whole set of candidates. I think there were 3 series of them

baseball-almanac.com/baseball_cards/baseball_cards_oneset.php?s=1977fri01

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 1:24PM

The 'worst' pro player that I collected was actually a pretty darn good player: Willie Randolph. I have all of his Topps cards and a great deal of his Fleer and Donruss cards. He was my guy on the Yankees teams of the late 1970's - 1980's.

Daniel
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

As a kid, I liked Bobby Douglass (Chicago Bears QB) and have a few of his cards.

• Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I collect entire sports, not just one specific set, player or team. Finding the obscure guys is a lot of fun. I have the NBA down to around 350 people missing from my collection...over 2800 different people in it. I am also doing the same project for NASCAR, and I just took on the NHL earlier this year. Still too many missing to compile a list yet for that sport.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

In the late 80's, nobody could have convinced me that Glenn Davis wasn't going to Cooperstown :)

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collected Chuck Knoblauch for his first few years. He started off great but he sure didn't last.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    TommyB23TommyB23 Posts: 42 ✭✭

Peter Warrick, Tim Couch :(

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rickey Jordan in 89 and Scott Erickson in 91. I thought hof for sure

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    EAsportsEAsports Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Rick Mirer

My LSU Autographs

Only an idiot would have a message board signature.
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

Neil O'Donnell...oh wait never liked or collected him tho I'm sure Larry Brown loved him for the easiest 2 INTs which made him rich and Superbowl MVP..tho I'm over it

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

Also- Rick Ankiel

• Options

@TommyB23
    OMG I still love Tim Couch and may start collecting him again. I am a die hard Browns fan and he was the face of the new era.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

all the players i collect are pretty bad lol

• Options

I know a guy who has a huge Aaron Hernandez collection....probably not what you mean, though

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

@GeoffEighinger said:
    @TommyB23
    OMG I still love Tim Couch and may start collecting him again. I am a die hard Browns fan and he was the face of the new era.

And luckily for you, every year you guys have a brand new QB to be the face of the new era :)

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TommyB23 said:

@GeoffEighinger said:
    @TommyB23

And luckily for you, every year you guys have a brand new QB to be the face of the new era :)

some years 2-3

• Options

@LarkinCollector said:

@TommyB23 said:

@GeoffEighinger said:
    @TommyB23

some years 2-3

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭

Felix Jose in 1989.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Living near Houston it was definitely Glenn Davis in the late 80s.

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    Felix Jose in 1989.

Me too. After the McGwire, Canseco, Weiss run, it seemed so obvious...LOL.

Still sitting on 500. Bought at a show from a guy with about 10k...that shoulda been a warning sign. LOL

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dontippet said:
    Felix Jose in 1989.

Ya know, he ended up having a not-completely-horrible career. Played parts of 11 seasons in the majors and made several millions dollars doing it. 747 games, career .280 hitter with a career OPS+ of 103. Not horrible, just not what you're looking for from a corner outfielder.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Being a Hartford Whalers fan I collected and thought Geoff Sanderson was going to be a lock HOFer. I think I have a few hundred of his 91-92 Young Guns card.

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

Jose Oquendo. My dad said he was going to be a stud. Took me about 3 years to stop loading up on his card. I also have about 350 1989 D Hal Morris cards if anyone is in the market :smiley:

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 25, 2017 5:17AM

Minor Leaguer Damaso Espino. I loaded up on him expecting hi, to make the big leagues since i only collect Panamanian players that have actually made the big league roster. Not even a cup of coffee and 85 rookies later ..... probably beats anyone here lol

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

John Cullen, NHL. He had a couple of good seasons around 89-91 years. The reason I followed him is because he play for the Flint Spirits/Generals of the IHL back in 88 and I went to some of the games and he was drafted by the Penguins.

• Options
    TunisTunis Posts: 429 ✭✭✭✭

Jose Lopez for me. Was such a good player at Double A here in San Antonio and young. Decent career but is having a better career in Japan. Have game used bats(about 15), game used jerseys and a ton of cards, graded or autographed.

Successful buys on BST board from NotSure, Nankraut, Yorkshireman, Astrorat, Ikeigwin(2x), Bob13, Outhaul, coinbuf, dpvilla, jayPem, Sean1990, TwoKopeiki, bidask, Downtown1974, drddm, nederveit2

• Options

This thread has received more responses than I could have anticipated. Thanks for the feedback.

It has also inspired me to start collecting Tim Couch cards again. Hell, all 1999 Browns.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 3:17PM

Mickey Hatcher. Greatest....utility....man....ever. I believe Lasorda had him catching... then 2nd base,,,, then pitching.... then outfielding in a single game, Then in the 9th, Mickey wore a short skirt and played the right field ball girl role hotter than any since.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited August 26, 2017 4:15PM

Brett Butler and Jose Canseco.

I kid, I kid...

But seriously, as a kid in the 80's I collected Joey Meyer rookie cards. That did not work out.

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

The Brett Butler thing seen here.... man..... That is some hard core collector stuff. No way around not giving the man cred for that pertaining to this specific thread though. Have not seen anyone beat it. NIce !

Hoping any sons that exist though understand the ... "DADDY,, You have a 30 year long baseball card collection ???"

YES YES YES !!!!! We're RICH !!! Daddy Daddy, who do you have ???? Let's see !!!!!

Sons....

.'ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........ greeeeat.....googly.... moogly'

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    John Cullen, NHL. He had a couple of good seasons around 89-91 years. The reason I followed him is because he play for the Flint Spirits/Generals of the IHL back in 88 and I went to some of the games and he was drafted by the Penguins.

When he played for the Whalers I thought he was awesome!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

sarunas marciulionis '90 fleer

Back in the hobby after hibernating for many years... Collector from the overproduced years of 1986+
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex Gordon. Wasn't a terrible hitter until last year and this year.
    Now hand any girl scout a louisville slugger and she'll outhit Gordon.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    TheThrill22TheThrill22 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Toby Hall. One of my daughters and I spent a week in Arizona and went to the Fall League games every day for a week. He was super nice to her, gave her a signed baseball and talked with her every day.

• Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭

Rafael Santana and Mark Bailey in baseball and Jocelyn Lemieux in hockey

• Options
    BigMike79BigMike79 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭

@Stingray said:

The Mario Lemieux effect. Lemieux made so many players who weren't that good 40 goal scorers.
    John Cullen, Rob Brown, Keven Stevens, Dan Quinn, Doug Sheddon, Randy Cunneyworth, Warren Young, Terry Ruskowski.

Some had excellent years, left Lemieux and werent in the NHL much longer. Others like Cullen and Stevens never came close to those numbers again.

To answer the op, Tie Domi. Wasnt easy being 12 years old and trying to collect anything i could of a 4th line enforcer.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Bill Almon, SS of the Padres from 74 to 80'ish.....

The Almon family lived two streets away from my Grandparents when I was growing up and were the example of - if he can make it from Warwick, RI, anyone can make it from Warwick, RI.

He is, effectively, a friend of the family, and worlds better at baseball than my friends and I could ever think or wish to be.

How about that for pesepctive?

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options
    JudgeItoJudgeIto Posts: 68 ✭✭✭

I was all in on Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner back when I was in middle school.

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim Rattay

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2017 11:40AM

@JudgeIto said:
    I was all in on Harold "Baby Jordan" Miner back when I was in middle school.

I'll see your Harold Miner and raise you an Isaiah Rider :neutral:

• Options
    AstrodomeAstrodome Posts: 35
    edited August 28, 2017 12:57PM

Charles Jones, who filled in for Olajuwon some during the championship seasons. Role player, not a star. Put in some decent time when he could.

• Options
    1957Braves1957Braves Posts: 318 ✭✭✭

Ken Griffey Jr. No doubt about it. He started off with the Mariners in the late '80s and early '90s. Bounced a round a bit after that. Stopped following him around 2010. Had lots of his rookies. I wonder whatever happened to him.