Home Sports Talk

Mayweather - McGregor

CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you ponying up the $99 for PPV?

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

No way.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last time I paid to see a fight it was Hearns, Haggler on closed circuit.

What a brawl.

@Coinstartled said:
    Last time I paid to see a fight it was Hearns, Haggler on closed circuit.

What a brawl.

Best first round in boxing history.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 8:54PM

I wont be paying it all myself, but I will make a night out of it and go somewhere that is showing it and pay the $5-10 cover charge.

I am actually more intrigued by this fight than I was for the Mayweather- Pacquiao fight.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

No shortage of drama with this one, that's for sure. The circus will be in town.

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Pass

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife actually wants to get it as everyone at work is talking about iI. I don't have much interest

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:
    My wife actually wants to get it as everyone at work is talking about iI. I don't have much interest

mark

I am always a sucker for good hype. Probably worth a ten dollar bill to me. For $99 I can have more fun doing something else.

@Coinstartled said:

@Justacommeman said:

mark

I am always a sucker for good hype. Probably worth a ten dollar bill to me. For $99 I can have more fun doing something else.

If you are in the hood stop by. I could use your $10 bucks to defray the costs

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Only if the Faygo red pop is chilled!!

;)

edited August 23, 2017 10:52AM

@Coinstartled said:
    Only if the Faygo red pop is chilled!!

;)

And I'll have Stroh's and Better Made Chips on hand

m

• boxingproboxingpro Posts: 2
    edited August 23, 2017 5:03PM

@Coinstartled said:
    Are you ponying up the $99 for PPV?

No Man! xD Hahaha! It's just a waste. Instead, I will just wait for a free replay or watch a livestream.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't pay for TV other than Netflix. That's what commercials are for.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a UFC guy and haven't been a real fan of boxing in many moons. With that said, can someone please elucidate my world and explain how Conor Mc is going to win this fight outside of catching Mayweather with the most fortuitous of punches? Last I checked, it's 49-0 and arguably the greatest defensive boxer of all time versus a pugilistic neophyte.

Money is flowing like a river into the u-dog and I'm just not seeing it. Only thing I can come up with is the value is too tempting to resist.

@galaxy27 said:

Money is flowing like a river into the u-dog and I'm just not seeing it. Only thing I can come up with is the value is too tempting to resist.

Early price on Mayweather was 1-20. No excitement on putting up a grand to win fifty bucks. Having said that, it is on the bookmakers to adjust the odds to reflect the action.

I suspect that the whining from the Vegas strip is more free publicity on a gimmick fight that is not drawing the attraction that was anticipated.

@1970s said:
    If this is a true, legit fight, then it could be a long one. MacGregor doesn't give up easily, and Mayweather is impossible to hit. He is so elusive. Having said that, if Mayweather is really having financial problems, then he may be at the mercy of the underworld crowd, and the fight could be staged.

If $100,000,000 plus is not enough to bail him out, he has some real problems.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

McGregor will win just so they can have a rematch

No confidence in the outcome? Has professional boxing become as bogus as pro wrestling?

I suspect that I know the answer.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't understand how mayweather can lose . I don't think Mcgregor can actually box against someone who really knows how to box. An actual boxer I mean not a UFC scrub. Half of them will be emptying trash cans at burger king 5 years from now. The other half will be sleeping in the dumpster behind burger king.

@bronco2078 said:
    I don't understand how mayweather can lose . I don't think Mcgregor can actually box against someone who really knows how to box. An actual boxer I mean not a UFC scrub. Half of them will be emptying trash cans at burger king 5 years from now. The other half will be sleeping in the dumpster behind burger king.

@bronco2078 said:

I was at a friend's house late, many years ago and watched Buster Douglas defeat Mike Tyson in Japan. Two dudes start punching each other and anything can happen.

edited August 25, 2017 10:56PM

I remember watching the Tyson-Douglas fight at a bar. When Tyson went down, it was unbelievable.

Vegas wasn't even taking bets on that fight as I recall, it was considered such a mismatch.

But Douglas got that long count a round or so before, and Tyson was clearly not on point that night. For Douglas, it was truly the pinnacle of his career and a storybook night.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gi9Ufhe0Uf0

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want too, but just can't bring myself to spend the $99. I'll have on SportsCenter and listen to the round-by-round scoring and commentary I suppose.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

While both fighters seem like massive dbags rumor has it MacGregor might be acting . Mayweather's awfulness appears to be genuine.

No acting there. He's a dbag also.

My prediction is that most fight fans and particularly those that paid the $99 will be deeply disappointed with the outcome.

I'm a sucker. I'm bucking up on the chance this could be epic

mark

Is this fight happening tonight or tomorrow morning?

McGregor is winning through 3

m

Through 4. McGregor is winning this fight. So far

m

edited August 26, 2017 9:39PM

Through 6. Probably tied

m

This is when McGregor was expected to be gassed.

Thanks for posting the pics!

edited August 26, 2017 9:42PM

Mayweater coming on. Through 7

m

Through 8. Super close rounds. Compelling. FUN

mark

edited August 26, 2017 9:51PM

Through 9. McGregor lost his legs. Running out of gas.

m

edited August 26, 2017 9:54PM

Fight stopped in the 10th. No knock down. Mayweather wins

Exciting and entertaining. Mayweather was the aggressor

m

Give McGregor credit...he didn't quit and he hung in there for 10 rounds with the champ. Pretty impressive for an MMA fighter.

edited August 26, 2017 10:16PM

It was worth every penny. It lived up to the
    hype, Great entertainment.

m

• garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

Watched it for free last night at a outdoor party. Was entertaining, but not surprising results.

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

Good play by play, Mark!

@Coinstartled said:
    Good play by play, Mark!

It wasn't a beautiful fight by any stretch of the imagination. It was however the right fight for the times. As Mayweather said he had the right dance partner.

m

edited August 27, 2017 4:35PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Good play by play, Mark!

It wasn't a beautiful fight by any stretch of the imagination. It was however the right fight for the times. As Mayweather said he had the right dance partner.

m

I have many thoughts on this fight. First is congratulations to both participants as they each scored a heavy payday without economically soaking the general public as the major league sports in this country do.

Having said that, I recall watching the Ali fights as a kid. He was the pinnacle of the sport and it was a spectacle to see Cosell in tux brilliantly calling the events.

That is lost now to the average kid. Guess he can play Candy Crush instead.

Also included in price of PPV was seeing Tommy The Hit Man Hearns the Motor City Cobra Pride of the Kronk gym in the expensive seats. It brought back memories of the glory days of boxing.

m

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember the Hearns/Leonard fight!?? Or the knock down brawl between Forman and Lyle??? Fun viewing.