Home U.S. Coin Forum

Trueview with coins in holder

I was checking out some coins listed by one of the large dealers on Ebay and noticed several of their coins listed had Trueviews of the coins shot when the coin was already in a slab. When you lookup the coins cert number at PCGS you get the normal looking Trueview and can also see another pic of the coin shot when it was already slabbed and even with the CAC sticker already on it.

I'm thinking these coins might have been sent in for the reconsideration service with Trueviews as an option.
Or maybe this is some kind of pilot test of shooting Truviews in slabs and gearing up to offer this service as a imaging option.

Cert lookup https://pcgs.com/cert/83939953

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,871 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2017 5:36AM

Phil & company have imaged through the slab on request, in the past.

Some people do not want to lose an older holder (Rattler, Doily, OGH, etc...) and have them imaged through the existing slab.

I have not seen the second, full slab, image before, until I looked up the cert number. It is listed as a "Standard" holder, non-secure plus, although the Secure Plus Shield is in the full slab image between the OBV and REV. I though maybe it was one that someone "put together".

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • Winchester1873Winchester1873 Posts: 201 ✭✭✭✭

Bumping an old post to see if there is an answer to the question posed above. I recently purchased this 1949 10 Centavo - the TV is of the coin in the slab. Anyone know the reason?

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally it’s because they weren’t graded in California so they don’t have Phil et al to do the photography so they do basic scans instead. It’s also an option you can request when you have a coin graded.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2020 9:45AM

Coins graded in Europe (Paris) and China (Hong Kong) will get the full slab shots with gold shield service. I see it more and more with world coins. I'm a little surprised to see it with an MS67 Morgan dollar.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 1913 Type 2 Buff with the slab TV. As said above, graded at PCGS Europe. I repatriated this from Belarus if I remember correctly.
    https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37664488

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file