Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Heritage 1980 topps baseball wax box

Is there a reason why this box sold for $3600 with juice? Seems you could buy one from bbce for 900 or so.

Comments

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

link?

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2017 5:47PM

So much for the correction on unopened prices, lol..

I will admit this hammer price is quite bizarre, however.

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball/1980-topps-baseball-wax-box-with-36-unopened-packs/a/7195-80274.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I about spit out my coffee this morning when looking through the results. My wife said what are you looking at? A box that you can buy for $850 to $900 on EBAY went for $3,600. Hopefully for the seller they get their dough!

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

crap, I just ripped one of these this weekend. It appears to be an outlier, but we can't see the bidders or the bids, so who knows. And it's in Texas, where we all know what is legal there.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the link. Wasn't sure how to do it.

• Options
    GilbeyGilbey Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

I see they have another box for sale ending next week. It's at 750 now (900 with juice). Curious to see where this ends up.

• Options
    edited August 21, 2017 6:15PM

Not surprisingly, the box is for sale by the winning bidder through HA's "make offer to the owner" program, should anyone want to make a reasonable offer for it..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

So the buyer is paying around $6.67 per card.

You can get them for $1.58 per card courtesy of our group rip.

And if this post doesn't inspire a rush to fill up the slots, I will be reserving
    more packs for myself tomorrow night.

• Options

@Sdub said:
    crap, I just ripped one of these this weekend. It appears to be an outlier, but we can't see the bidders or the bids, so who knows. And it's in Texas, where we all know what is legal there.

Sdub- you ripped a whole box? What were the highlights? any Rickeys?

• Options

@Darin said:

And if this post doesn't inspire a rush to fill up the slots, I will be reserving

I don't think you will have to worry about 1980 Topps baseball boxes climbing to the $6 per card level anytime soon, lol..

• Options

Tim- true. LOL.
    The buyer would have to pull 8-9 Hendersons' that would grade PSA 9 to make up for the price
    he paid.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check BBCE website...apparently '80 Topps baseball wax box has been sold out from under us.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2017 7:45PM

@mintonlypls said:
    Check BBCE website...apparently '80 Topps baseball wax box has been sold out from under us.

That's the second box...the 78 rack box was bought last weekend.

Perhaps Steve has more than one in stock?

• Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

am i wrong in thinking the 1980 box was plentiful? heck maybe i should sell the few i have laying around

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

@seebelow said:
    am i wrong in thinking the 1980 box was plentiful? heck maybe i should sell the few i have laying around

Not wrong. This box is fairly common, The box in the link above is not indicative of its true value, which is around $900-$950 at this time for a BBCE certified box. 1980 boxes have come up off their lows of $750 after peaking at around $1,100 at one point, which is nice to see.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't pay anywhere near that for my 79 vending case let alone 80!

Wow.

I mean wow!

Mike
  • Options

@Stone193 said:
    I didn't pay anywhere near that for my 79 vending case let alone 80!

Wow.

I mean wow!

what else you have stashed away. that's a nice case you've got there.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@Darin said:

I don't think you will have to worry about 1980 Topps baseball boxes climbing to the $6 per card level anytime soon, lol..

There have been a few lots of psa 9/10's for sale on e-bay, with little interest. I think one lot of all 10's didn't even go for $8/card?? Hard to believe. You would think these boxes would be worth about $300 based on these sales, but unopened has it's own formula.

I did clean Steve out of '80's boxes at the national. Not for any particular reason other than building a high end raw set. However, it's 3X cheaper to buy 10's and crack them out, but that's not any fun.

Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options

@Sdub said:

@grote15 said:

@Darin said:

There have been a few lots of psa 9/10's for sale on e-bay, with little interest. I think one lot of all 10's didn't even go for $8/card?? Hard to believe. You would think these boxes would be worth about $300 based on these sales, but unopened has it's own formula.

I did clean Steve out of '80's boxes at the national. Not for any particular reason other than building a high end raw set. However, it's 3X cheaper to buy 10's and crack them out, but that's not any fun.

I can empathize~I've been sorting through stacks of thousands of cards from the 70s and early 80s that I've pulled from packs over the years. It's sobering to see just how many 1980 Topps baseball packs I opened to accumulate this many cards, lol..Of course, back when I was ripping these packs, 1980 boxes WERE $300 (or even less than that), LOL..

I've been putting together a super high end raw set and will probably list for sale the remaining lot of 1,000+ cards at some point.

Definitely more cost effective to buy 1980 cards already graded, but I've also submitted quite a few over the years while building my graded set (including two PSA 9 Hendersons), which is always a lot more fun.