Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which are the Best Numismatic Website Templates?

sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been looking for a while at the options for a numismatic website upgrade.

I started a site many years ago that was a simple webpage with other linked webpages. No search, no shopping cat or checkout. If a buyer wanted an item, they would email and I'd confirm availability and provide payment instructions. I would then need to remove the item from the site. This worked fine for the early days of the internet.

I've been using Ebay since 1998 for both buying and selling, so when a free alternative came along in the form of eCrater, I listed some inventory there. This venue and my linked webpages continue to sell obsolete notes for me to this day, with no fees. However, eCrater greatly lacks much needed functionality and my webpages are too labor intensive to keep current. I have needed a new website for years.

I won't consider sites that take a percentage of sales as this is simply too expensive. There are cheaper options, like those that charge a monthly fee. Even better would be software that I could purchase or obtain for free. I've been considering Pinnacle but have read some questionable reviews.

I'd like the ability to list thousands of items, enter them easily, have customers order and pay, (shopping cart) and manage inventory, removing items when sold. I don't need nor want anything fancy like plug-ins, flash, etc. Ease of instillation would be a big plus, too.

Any suggestions from experience?

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.

Comments

  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Crickets?

    I've always known that us numismatists tend to be more technology-challenged than most but the younger generations are usually able to help us poor old codgers.

    Any suggestions not from experience?

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    only suggestion I have is this;
    you get what you pay for!
    A well known Canadian Prime Minister, Mr. Pierre Trudeau, coined the ever so true phrase:
    "there is NO such a thing like a "free" lunch".
    Sooner or later you will pay in one way or another.

    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

    @YQQ said:
    only suggestion I have is this;
    you get what you pay for!
    A well known Canadian Prime Minister, Mr. Pierre Trudeau, coined the ever so true phrase:
    "there is NO such a thing like a "free" lunch".
    Sooner or later you will pay in one way or another.

    Pierre Trudeau didn't coin that phrase. It originated in the United States national political discourse of the early 1940s. Nice try though.

    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, thanks but that hasn't been my experience.

    I could hire a web designer for thousands of dollars or could just go with something off the shelf for a small fraction of a web designer. I'm just looking for someone with experience with Shopify, Wix, Pinnacle, Volusion or other ecommerce companies to offer opinions or other ideas.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    panexpoguypanexpoguy Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2017 8:47AM

    Take a look at Digital Studios NW. Not sure on costs but their work is easy to use and popular.

  • Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It will be hard to find a website that charges no fee. If you are fine with a fee, it depends on how much you want to pay. Squarespace.com is an AMAZING website, but they cost a good amount per month for businesses. I suggest you check out all the cool things they have. If you want a cheaper option, cheap templates are available from wix.com and webnode.com.

    Fan of the Oxford Comma
    CCAC Representative of the General Public
    2021 Young Numismatist of the Year

  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

    BarberFrank
    thanks, I had no idea someone was that smart to recognize that before Pierre.... :D

    Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file