Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you store your ungraded sets?

Top Loaders, Card Savers, Binders, Card Boxes? Curious to see the comments. Thanks!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few thousand ungraded Wrestling All Stars and every card is in a card saver.

• Options
    CdnOsfanCdnOsfan Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

I have some late 70s thru 80s sets all stored in binders. The only bummer is some of the key cards are graded and I have not figured out how to display the graded cards with the rest of the set.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you kidding me?! That is incredibly creative and what an awesome way to do binders. Love the checklist fronts - that is a neat touch. Thank you for sharing.

KC

• Options
    CVHJOS9CVHJOS9 Posts: 30 ✭✭

That looks great! I agree, your creativity is off the charts.

Looking for LA Rams Rookie cards PSA 10's, 1990 and prior please.

Ebay seller: cvhjos9
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Awesome!!'

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 8:49AM

@CdnOsfan said:
    I have some late 70s thru 80s sets all stored in binders. The only bummer is some of the key cards are graded and I have not figured out how to display the graded cards with the rest of the set.

You could use the 4 pocket pages that has 3.5" x 5" pockets for your graded cards and still keep them in the same set binder. You just won't be able to keep the graded cards in order with the rest of the set though. There is also the Ultra-Pro PSA graded card 4 pocket pages but they stopped producing them so there aren't that many available on ebay.
    Here is what they would look like in the 3.5x5 pages:

• Options

those '70-80' binders are awesome! makes me want to flip through them, lol

• Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Binder artwork courtesy of our own UGAskidog

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 12:55PM

@erikthredd said:

@CdnOsfan said:

You could use the 4 pocket pages that has 3.5" x 5" pockets for your graded cards and still keep them in the same set binder.

Also, if you want the graded cards to be more secure in the page... take a graded card sleeve, orient the sleeve so the flap is on the back side, slide the card in, remove the adhesive cover on the flap, slide the sleeved, graded card into the page and then bring the flap forward and secure the flap to the page. The cards will not slide out and risk being damaged as the binder is moved around.

• Options
    TommyB23TommyB23 Posts: 42 ✭✭

Really love those PSA binder pages! A quick google search is leading me to believe they will be very hard to find.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well "color" me impressed Jim!

The graphics? Incredible. I don't think my printer can do anything that nice.

Are those binders with the clear sleeves to slip the sheets into? Can't tell - there's no glare at all.

Finding really nice - clean - binders - black e.g. - that look nice is hard to find on the net. I don't really care for the ones that are plastic - kinda want something "mat" finish if ya know what I mean?

Mike
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2017 2:05PM

i actually haven't set up my graded cards in binders yet but i did come up with another way to try to prevent that from happening. i have all of my PSA slabs protected with a Perfect Fit PSA sleeve and i actually took a PF BGS jersey card sleeve and double bagged one of my PSA cards to see how it sat in one of the 3.5 x 5 pockets and it ended up fitting pretty snug. The 4 pocket pages i tried them in were all pretty old so i figured new pages might work even better but i'll definitely keep your recommendation in mind when i get around to paging everything if that is what i do. I was also thinking of using Zippered binders but haven't had much luck when i went looking for the right ones to use. You can't tell from my pics but that was a Ultra Pro zippered binder with 2" ring and last time i did a search for them on ebay there weren't any of that exact binder available.
    I've been thinking about trying out these for my graded cards. Looks like i might be able to fit 2-3 of the 4 pocket pages filled with graded cards per album. Maybe even see if the Ultra Pro PSA graded card pages fit as well.
    http://www.bcwsupplies.com/cat/card-game-supply/card-folder/zipper-binder-lx-black

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not as flashy as Jim or Brent. I just use the standard binders for Topps football sets.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

I see that you (vintagefun) store your binders upright, like books on a shelf. Is this OK to do - I've seen some posts that say it's better to lay them flat. I actually put mine in a binder box so that the spines of the binders are on top. I'd like to have them flat, for easy access, but there is not enough space.

Casey Barker
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Hope that shows up. First time trying to post a picture from my tablet. I took all my cards out of pages in 2000 when I discovered they were attacking the UV coating.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options

Forgot to say, the number of boxes has almost doubled since I took this in 2011. I also have several 5000 count boxes that are not pictured, nor is my duplicates/trade stash.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would never store cards produced since 1992 in cardboard boxes, unless I put individual penny sleeves on them first. Even keeping them in a controlled environment, it's been my experience that the UV coating will begin to leech onto the card touching it, and they eventually will weld themselves together into a solid brick of cardboard, and you will do extensive damage trying to separate them.

• Options
    flcardtraderflcardtrader Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I store my sets in either a 3200 ct box or a 5000 ct box with each raw card in top load with ample space to store graded cards that fill out the set. Here is what my 57 Set box looks like

Pretty boring but it allows me to pick up a stack and flip through them like the old days without to much concern.

For any card that I have in the set that is graded, I use a placeholder in the raw top loaded sections to signify the graded card. You can see those as they stand out in the top loads as white at the top.

I have only been able to do my vintage baseball like this. Our next home will have a library/office with two walls dedicated to an shelf organization to hold the set boxes.

flcardtrader@yahoo.com
    Website
    Shopify Store
    Ebay Store
  • Options

There's really only a couple of sets that can be damaged by sticking. 2002-03 Topps, Ultra are problems... Stadium Club from 2001-02 and 02-03 as well. 2002-03 Fleer premium fared poorly in my non climate controlled storage unit but the majority of them are fine. I recently dug out my duplicate boxes from said storage unit...was surprised how well the cards fared. I expected that most would be lost but sticking is not a big issue. They were untouched from 2003-16.

My actual NBA collection, which sat untouched from 2004-2011, I only lost two cards that had been stored in the boxes shown, and both were sticking to each other and one of the plastic inserts from Stadium Club. Plastic cards can get sticky over time.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I no longer collect anything on white cardboard stock, only dingy gray vintage for me. Having said that, however, my experience is that anything and everything from the 90s, with all the gold and silver foil and glossy finish will be affected eventually, and you'll end up with worthless bricks of cards. It's been a topic before on this board, and I've had it in person with other collectors at shows and shops. Maybe the manufacturers solved the problem by the 2000s. At any rate, it appears you've been fortunate. So carry on with what your doing with your storage methods, and continued good luck to you.

• Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

beautiful hockey sets!! must be great to look through

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options

Is there a sleeve made that I can store my card saver 2s in? Lime the PSA ones just not as big maybe?

• Options

@Richie0131 said:
    Is there a sleeve made that I can store my card saver 2s in? Lime the PSA ones just not as big maybe?

Take a look here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/richy707/m.html?item=282391076936&hash=item41bfd1e048:g:9zIAAOSwB-1Yw5gR&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

He's got sleeves for most card holders/slabs.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2020 7:45AM

I store my ungraded sets in binder pages but don't put them in binders. It saves a TON of space. I put them in the large Time Life magazine bags and then just fold over the excess space and slap a few pieces of Scotch tape on the back. Presto! They're all snug together and easy to move if need be or store flat or standing up. You can get the Time Life bags wherever you get your Card Savers.

Arthur

ETA: I scan the pages at around 200 dpi before I package them up and so I have the set also stored digitally if I ever want to flip through them. At 200 dpi it doesn't take nearly as long as you would think.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 865 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am putting my cards in penny sleeves then in pocket sheets and binders. I have been starting to put some of my 90's sets in penny sleeves and store in boxes.

• Options
    krisd3279krisd3279 Posts: 808 ✭✭✭✭

Pages in binders for me. Duplicates are in boxes with inserts and anything of value in penny sleeves. All glossy cards are in sleeves.

Kris

My 1971 Topps adventure - Davis Men in Black

• Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Sleeved in boxes, though I dont have a lot of sets.

• Options
    dad2cl3dad2cl3 Posts: 331 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2020 5:34AM

Oops...wrong topic...nothing to see here...