Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Bowers & Merena 8/2007 Auction Catalogue...

RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have a copy - I'm researching a coin and somehow can't find this sale in my library.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake

Comments

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 18, 2017 8:41PM

I might but it would take 1-2 hours - what's it worth to you..... :cold_sweat:

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options

Wasn't it ANR by then??

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine only go back to 2009, sorry

• Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the catalogue. What you want?

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    Aegis3Aegis3 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I have a copy.

To make a guess, the double struck Clark, Gruber is lot 1661, mentioned as being ex 06ANA: 4064. Graded EF45 by PCGS. I can see the expected die dent near the V of DENVER, but I don't recall what to look for in the either die markers I'm sure you're interested in. I don't have the PRL.

--

Ed. S.

(EJS)
  • Options

Wish you hadn't posted that catalog - I bought some American Bank Note plates in that auction that I really regret buying...... :D

• Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS Coinfacts lists a Bowers (not an ANR sale) in August of 2007.

Tim - I remember looking at lots with you at that sale - I still have an Iron Pyrite sample I bought for myself there. I'm similarly regretful, having put the fool in this particular piece of fool's gold.

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2017 7:47AM

@Regulated said:
    PCGS Coinfacts lists a Bowers (not an ANR sale) in August of 2007.

Tim - I remember looking at lots with you at that sale - I still have an Iron Pyrite sample I bought for myself there. I'm similarly regretful, having put the fool in this particular piece of fool's gold.

And I remember sitting next to you when you bought it and thinking how I wished I were as smart as you. o:)

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Regulated said:
    PCGS Coinfacts lists a Bowers (not an ANR sale) in August of 2007. ...

There was also a Bowers and Merena auction starting on 8-4-2007 separate from the 8-5-2007 Stack's auction (ANR had already merged with Stack's by then) linked above by @BG.

I dropped off the Bowers mailing list in 2006 and don't have the catalog. It sounds above like @Aegis3 has it.

Found the Bowers and Merena auction date in the large PDF file of Martin Gengerke's American Numismatic Auctions:

coinbooks.org/resources/auctions.pdf

Someone from Stacks Bowers had once posted on here that these past auctions would all be available again at some point. The Bowers and Merena seemed to disappear around the time when they merged in 2011. The Stack sales and ANR sales were available until last year I think. Now none of those links work anymore as far as I can tell. Hope that is all eventually going to be restored.

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file