Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1970 Kellogg's Set

I have been thinking about starting on this set. I do have a few questions for you knowledgeable collectors who care to answer.

Does anyone know if PSA intends to make a holder to fit this card?

What purpose does the bag serve that they put the card in? Does it have to do with keeping the card from cracking?

It looks like this card has quite a bit of wiggle room in the current holder. Has anybody ever heard of damage from moving around?

Are 8's worth collecting or should I go for 9's? The 9's seems fairly reasonable in price.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    I really can't answer your questions as I received my first 70 Kelloggs card in the mail today. I also am looking for the answers to the questions you asked. My card is a PSA 9 Juan Marichal. I also just bought a PSA 9 1970 Kelloggs Pete Rose which is on the way. You should go for the PSA 9's since they are reasonably priced right now. Let hope we get some replies.

Ed
    email address: alohaet@hotmail.com
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    Rw2win, I really doubt that PSA will make a new holder to fit the card. The Kellogg's issues come in many different sizes so it would be a nightmare from their point of view.

The sleeve is to prevent it from moving around in the holder since it is slightly less in size than a standard sized baseball card.

I have handled hundreds of slabbed Kellogg's and have never once seen a card get damaged from moving around. You would have to smack the holder pretty good to get the card to move. I know because I often do it to center the card better in the holder. It does absolutely no harm to the card.

Oddly, the 9's are more plentiful than the 8's so for a few extra dollars you get better cards.

Alohaet - how do you like them?
  • Options
    rw2win

There is no specific holder for the 70 K's. I have handled quite a few and the cards suffer absolutely no damage despite any movement. The bag is a mylar bag that actually keeps the card from curling by adding a little "thickness" to fil the void within the holder. The bags do not bother me, in fact they tend to accentuate the card's appearance.

At this point, were I starting the set, I would choose to collect 9's as they are so reasonable for a mint vintage card, at least for now. This is slowly changing as there seem to be more and more collectors of this set. If I can be of help to anyone, just PM or email me

Paul
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    Zardoz - it helps prevent curling too? Cool image
  • Options
    Hi Gemmint, I really like them a lot. I never paid much attention to the Kelloggs cards before reading the posts here. How many cards are in the 70 Kelloggs set?

Ed
  • Options
    BTW, the corners on the '70 Kellogg's are really tough as nails. Handle a few raw cards, and you will see what I mean. You can't hurt them while they're in the holder.
  • Options

Go to the registry and check out the set
  • Options
    Alhoaet, there are 75 cards in the set.

Here they are along with their individual weighting in the Registry:

1 ED KRANEPOOL 1
    2 PETE ROSE 9
    3 CLEON JONES 1
    4 WILLIE MCCOVEY 6
    5 MEL STOTTLEMYRE 1
    6 FRANK HOWARD 2.50
    7 TOM SEAVER 8
    8 DON SUTTON 4
    9 JAMES WYNN 1
    10 JIM MALONEY 1
    11 TOMMY AGEE 1
    12 WILLIE MAYS 10
    13 JUAN MARICHAL 4
    14 DAVE MCNALLY 1
    15 FRANK ROBINSON 8
    16 CARLOS MAY 1
    17 BILL SINGER 1
    18 RICK REICHARDT 1
    19 JOHN POWELL 2.50
    20 GAYLORD PERRY 4
    21 BROOKS ROBINSON 8
    22 LUIS APARICIO 4
    23 JOEL HORLEN 1
    24 MICHAEL EPSTEIN 1
    25 TOM HALLER 1
    26 WILLIE CRAWFORD 1
    27 ROBERTO CLEMENTE 10
    28 MATTY ALOU 1
    29 WILLIE STARGELL 5
    30 TIM CULLEN 1
    31 RANDY HUNDLEY 1
    32 REGGIE JACKSON 9
    33 RICH ALLEN 3
    34 TIM MCCARVER 2
    35 RAY CULP 1
    36 JIM FREGOSI 1
    37 BILLY WILLIAMS 5
    38 JOHNNY ODOM 1
    39 D. CAMPANERIS 1
    40 ERNIE BANKS 9
    41 CHRIS SHORT 1
    42 RON SANTO 2.50
    43 GLENN BECKERT 1
    44 LOU BROCK 6
    45 LARRY HISLE 1
    46 REGGIE SMITH 1
    47 ROD CAREW 5
    48 CURT FLOOD 1
    49 JIM LONBORG 1
    50 SAM MCDOWELL 1
    51 SAL BANDO 1
    52 AL KALINE 7
    53 GARY NOLAN 1
    54 RICO PETROCELLI 1
    55 OLLIE BROWN 1
    56 LUIS TIANT 1
    57 BILL FREEHAN 1
    58 JOHNNY BENCH 7.50
    59 JOE PEPITONE 1
    60 BOBBY MURCER 1
    61 HARMON KILLEBREW 6
    62 DON WILSON 1
    63 TONY OLIVA 2.50
    64 JIM PERRY 1
    65 MICKEY LOLICH 2
    66 JOSE LABOY 1
    67 DEAN CHANCE 1
    68 KEN HARRELSON 1
    69 WILLIE HORTON 1
    70 WALLY BUNKER 1
    71 BOB GIBSON 6
    72 JOE MORGAN 5.50
    73 DENNY MCLAIN 2
    74 TOMMY HARPER 1
    75 DON MINCHER 1

• Options
    Thanks guys. This board is amazing with the responses you can get with a question. Gemmint and zardoz51 I went to the registry and you guys are in a class by yourself. Thanks again.

Ed
  • Options
    Thanks Ed!

Soon you will be addicted to the effects of 3-D

LOL

Paul
  • Options
    rw2winrw2win Posts: 557
    Ask and I get all the answers. Thanks guys!! Do any of you have any dup. 9's you want to get rid of?
    If I had Varga bucks, I would buy gemmintman's. image
  • Options
    I have a few. Let me dig around. I do have a few Seaver's etc.
  • Options
    image cards can be very addictive so be careful out there image.

• Options
    I thought I would have to wait until tomorrow to get some answers. Don't any of you have lives besides baseball cards?image We have 2 small kids. That's my excuse.image
  • Options
    I can't speak for the gemmintman

but I certainly have no life. My smallest kid turns 19 in a couple of months, stands 6-2 and 215lbs. Heck, I don't even know if he still lives here! LOL
  • Options
    Nope no life at all outside the card world. My "kids" are 33 and 32 years old. Enjoy your kids time goes by soooooo fast.

Ed
  • Options
    It looks like the 70 Kellogg's prices have jumped a bunch. Some have doubled in the last week. For someone with lots of cash thegemmentman's set looks pretty good. Any idea why the sudden interest? Does a great set up for auction generate interest in new collectors? Do people think it's under valued? Or, is it just cooooooool? image
  • Options

<< <i>Any idea why the sudden interest? Does a great set up for auction generate interest in new collectors? Do people think it's under valued? Or, is it just cooooooool? >>

Yes, yes, and yes! image

Rw2win, actually the '70 Kellogg's set has been building momemtum for many months now. It seems like there are new collectors for this set nearly every week, and why not? Name another vintage set that is this great looking at these relatively low prices image.