Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Quest to 3,154

So Im sitting here in the Taipei airport waiting to catch my flight to Macau, where I've been living and working for the past 2 years. I just finished a two week vacation to the US and no matter what anyone says, it's still the greatest country in the world. Anyways, my card collecting has really just come down to trying to get one George Brett 1975 rookie card (Topps Regular, Mini, or OPC) for every hit he had. I picked up another 15 this trip (8 from lcs and 7 off of ebay). Anyways, thought I'd share some pics of my progress.

Comments

• Options
    ZillaZilla Posts: 85 ✭✭

• Options
    edited August 18, 2017 3:44PM

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

And I thought I was a George Brett fan! That's impressive.

You are going to try to finish your 1975 registry set, aren't you? What do you need, only 2 or 3 more PSA 9's
    for completion in all 9's?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    Halos2002Halos2002 Posts: 135 ✭✭✭

That's awesome!

• Options
    markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭

How many do you have of each? What grades?

• Options

@Halos2002 said:
    That's awesome!

Thanks man.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

By George, that's a lot of Brett rookies!! :o

Love that green and purple--nice work!!

• Options
    sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

That is awesome. How many monster boxes so far? Good luck finishing.

• Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

That is awesome!!!! What a sight. I would love to do this for Mike Schmidt, my favorite player growing up. 548 of his 1973 Topps rookie cards for each of his homeruns but I think my funds would run out before I bought #548.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is amazing!

This may be the most incredible Brett collection on the planet.

The only thing I have of interest? One of his GU 3000 hit balls from the game - auto'ed.

Mike
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

This is definitely farrrrr freaking out stuff. Most excellent coolness here.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is freaking unbelievable and amazing at the same time!!!

How many do you have so far? Just looking at the photos I'm guessing around 500.

Congrats on what you have so far and good luck with the rest.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you reach your goal, I think George should send you an autographed item for your devotion.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

One of the coolest things I have ever seen. Keep it up!

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    kgibsonkgibson Posts: 264 ✭✭✭

I'm speechless!

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

I'll say.

And I thought I was cool cause I had a ball and his RC?

This makes me look like Swiss cheese!

Mike
  • Options
    edited August 18, 2017 9:22PM

I can't believe he has 4 Psa 9 O-PEE-CHEEs'. The pop is only 22.

Zilla sure knows how to make an exit. Dude left for Macau on a high note.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@markmac said:

Not sure on the exact number, but it's around 1,280 so far. These are just the ones I had at my parents house. Tried to get pictures of the other ones in my storage unit in Vegas, but I forgo> @mikelowell25 said:

By George, that's a lot of Brett rookies!! :o

Love that green and purple--nice work!!

Thanks. I love the colors of this card as well.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Geez. What's your total count as of now?

• Options

@sinoth23 said:
    That is awesome. How many monster boxes so far? Good luck finishing.

I actually have about 7 more boxes of PSA, SGC, and some BVG in storage, but I wasn't able to get any pictures of those this trip. Thanks, it's taking some time, but I think I'll get there eventually.> @Darin said:

And I thought I was a George Brett fan! That's impressive.

You are going to try to finish your 1975 registry set, aren't you? What do you need, only 2 or 3 more PSA 9's
    for completion in all 9's?

Yea, two more my regular set and then Im going to focus on the minis. And still working on the OPC, but that ones a bear.

• Options

@markmac said:

Not sure on the exaxt breakdown, but mostly regulars. However, the OPC's are my favorites. I used to collect 7's and 8's, but they got kind of pricey, so Im concentrating on 5's right now (goes with his jersey number). But I like buying raw too and self submitting. My eye for grading is terrible but it's still fun.

• Options

@lseecon said:
    That is awesome!!!! What a sight. I would love to do this for Mike Schmidt, my favorite player growing up. 548 of his 1973 Topps rookie cards for each of his homeruns but I think my funds would run out before I bought #548.

Go for it man!!! Take as much time as you need. No rush, just have fun with it.

• Options

@divecchia said:
    This is freaking unbelievable and amazing at the same time!!!

How many do you have so far? Just looking at the photos I'm guessing around 500.

Congrats on what you have so far and good luck with the rest.

Donato

Thanks. I think Im at around 1,280 all in.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    When you reach your goal, I think George should send you an autographed item for your devotion.

Ha ha ha. George is actually a friend of mine. I actually told him about this endeavor of mine at dinner in Arizona one night during spring training. He thought I was crazy. Lol. Coolest thing about that night was I brought my boss and his 10 year old son and I pulled up the pine tar incident on Youtube and George gave a play by play of the whole thing to my boss's son. Pretty amazing experience.

• Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

Thanks.

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

I'll say.

Ha ha ha. Thanks, but I love what you're doing with your man cave and Im jealous of all your stories and pics from the National. Im definitely trying to make it to Cleveland next year.

• Options

@Darin said:

Thanks. Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple more but just spent a ton on my niece and nephew while in the US. Cardboard vs the happiness of my two favorite munchkins on earth. No contest there.

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

@Zilla said:

@Darin said:

Thanks. Was thinking about pulling the trigger on a couple more but just spent a ton on my niece and nephew while in the US. Cardboard vs the happiness of my two favorite munchkins on earth. No contest there.

So were the kids disappointed?
    :D

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zilla said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Ha ha ha. George is actually a friend of mine. I actually told him about this endeavor of mine at dinner in Arizona one night during spring training. He thought I was crazy. Lol. Coolest thing about that night was I brought my boss and his 10 year old son and I pulled up the pine tar incident on Youtube and George gave a play by play of the whole thing to my boss's son. Pretty amazing experience.

A friend of mine was at the "Pine Tar" game. He still has the ticket stub from the game.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Seriously awesome!

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alan,

That's even more incredible than I thought!!! 1,280 of 3,154 puts you at around 40%

Congrats!!!

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm in awe...amazing, congrats and keep it up!!!

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options

@Zilla said:

@Stone193 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

I'll say.

Ha ha ha. Thanks, but I love what you're doing with your man cave and Im jealous of all your stories and pics from the National. Im definitely trying to make it to Cleveland next year.

It'll be a privilege to shake the hand of the man seeking over 3000 Brett RCs!

I've gotta tell my neighbor this story - he played with George's brother - Ken - in HS and every year they still have a HS reunion and play an old timer's game for charity I believe.

And thanx!

Mike
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    seebelowseebelow Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭
    edited August 19, 2017 8:32AM

Def cool. Please keep sharing.

...so when you send off for #3,154 will it be the ever elusive PSA 10?!?!?!

...or do you already have a couple of them hidden in there? and you're why i can't find a decent 8 or 9..ha

Interested in higher grade vintage cards. Aren't we all. image
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@Zilla said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

A friend of mine was at the "Pine Tar" game. He still has the ticket stub from the game.

Awesome. Wish I would have been there in person. That's what made me really start admiring GB. I just couldn't believe someone could get that mad over a baseball game. I didn't even understand what pine tar was at that time.

• Options

@jackstraw said:
    Seriously awesome!

Thanks.

• Options

@divecchia said:
    Alan,

That's even more incredible than I thought!!! 1,280 of 3,154 puts you at around 40%

Congrats!!!

Donato

Thanks. I really do have to take an actual count at some point. Was going to try this trip but got caught up with too many other things. When you're gone from the US for a year at a time, In N Out, Ben & Jerry's, taco truck, Walmart, and friends amd family all become much more important than cards. Lol. Someday though...

• Options

@Stone193 said:

@Zilla said:

@Stone193 said:

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:

I'll say.

It'll be a privilege to shake the hand of the man seeking over 3000 Brett RCs!

I've gotta tell my neighbor this story - he played with George's brother - Ken - in HS and every year they still have a HS reunion and play an old timer's game for charity I believe.

And thanx!

Looking forward to it sir. I never got to meet Ken, but I did meet some of his family at his 60th birthday party. I've also had the pleasure of meeting his beautiful wife, Leslie, and eldest son, Jackson.

• Options

@bishop said:

Senado Square, Ruins if St Paul, and the Grand Lisboa. Looks like you've seen everything in Macau. Lol. I love that you're wearing a jacket in your pics. Can't wait for the weather to get nice again. When I got off the plane today, it was 95° and 72% humidity. Tough on anyone but especially rough for a 300 lbs ABC (American Born Chinaman).

• Options

You're right it was a day game in July, a buddy and I were on our way to the local
    small town KS swimming pool with the game on the radio. I believe by the time
    we got there we were cussing Billy Martin pretty severely. LOL.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Exceptional collection! And I know you have at least one rack pack with Brett showing, too! ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Exceptional collection! And I know you have at least one rack pack with Brett showing, too! ;)

Still one of my favorite items. Thanks again.