Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

HELP - Still considering having a ANCIENT COIN encapsulated?

Dear Forum

NGC-Certified Ancient Coins 
How can we clearly appreciate the surfaces of a BRONZE coin, say a SESTERTIUS of DUPONDIUS, see 100% of the edges to ensure that the coin has not been 'say epoxy' filled. Maybe has fine pin holes how the coin has be created recently. Look at the surface to ensure they are as natural as possible? To my mind a coin found either in 'volcanic area' or even in a feild that has only been lightly brushed to remove some of the earth but the coin has not had the 'patination' played with? Those that are RIVER coins out of clay say in the TIBER?

Please enlighten me?

Geoffrey Cope

Petition Crown
The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $

Comments

• Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought encapsulation of bronze coins might be a good way to prevent bronze disease.

My current choice of Air-Tite holders are not really air tight (and neither is a slab technically) but it's better than a 2x2.

• Options

Hi Forum members - how important is encapsulation to the market. In Europe we have not been converted yet? PLEASE give your view for the future

Petition Crown
    The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Majority of ancient coin collectors don't like slabbed coins what so ever.

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that it would largely depend on the value of the coin in question and your desire to preserve it. As @bronzemat mentioned, there's not a lot of increase in value simply from slabbing an ancient.