Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

I got a ...CATALOG... from Coast to Coast coins. Canada $10 gold

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 16, 2017 4:13PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

They had a great deal on 1913, 1914 Canadian Gold Ten Dollarses. PCGS 63 in Canada Gold Vault specimens. $721.34.
BUT... by the time I got up this AM and got to the computer....they were gone.

Google said Apmex had some.

Nope, they are out, too.

But I found one on eBay for only a ....little bit.... more.

And got it. I like the old Canada gold with the cool portrait of George V and back in the day, they were pretty hard to find.

There were a few more on eBay for pretty close to that price and .....if you like em.... I wouldn't wait tooooooo long to get one. The rest on eBay were a grand or more.

Anyhow..... if you want, go get em. :)

and....there ain't no beans in Canada. ;):D

Comments

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my tuppence, I wouldn't spend a farthing with Coast to Coast coins - usually there is a catch in their deals somewhere.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, my objection here would be that the Canadian Treasury still held about 40% of the original mintages of these $10 and $5 coins until about four years ago - they sold maybe 1/3rd of them to numismatic channels and then melted the rest - a collector should be very very picky, and get the very best that they can find and afford.

It's a 'special situation' coin and you should have lots of choices from many vendors.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

The RCM held a total of 245,222 gold $5 and $10 Canadian coins from the dates of 1912-1914 and then picked out what they considered the finest 30,000 for sale with the remaining 215,222 coins being melted. I handled a goodly number of the released coins and still have a few squirreled away. I think they are gorgeous.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the more precise information.

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just bringing it up for anyone interested in taking a shot at a NEW "Redfield.....Treasury CC..... etc" possible situation.
    I was glad to have them called to my attention because I had forgotten what (as TomB says) how gorgeous they are.

And they are big and gold. Sorta a hot spot for me. :)

I've gotten a few coins from CtoC. not many.... but a few.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised they sold out at $721. They seem like great value at melt + roughly 15%.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got this one in February 2014 from a Canadian dealer:

Canada $10 1914

I also have a Canada $5 from a US ancient coin dealer.

What if Canada had made a "double eagle" or $20 coin?

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have a link to the definitive story about exactly where, how and when these were found?

Years ago I inquired on this forum where these coins were, and I think the general opinion at the time was that they were probably melted. That would have been a huge problem for the Bank of Canada's inventory system, eh?

Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got one this past Saturday. Beautiful coin for sure!

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    The RCM held a total of 245,222 gold $5 and $10 Canadian coins from the dates of 1912-1914 and then picked out what they considered the finest 30,000 for sale with the remaining 215,222 coins being melted. I handled a goodly number of the released coins and still have a few squirreled away. I think they are gorgeous.

Everytime these issues come up I think of you. I'm glad you worked your way through them! There was a time I was worried.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,733 ✭✭✭✭✭

You and me both!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SaorAlba said:
    Just my tuppence, I wouldn't spend a farthing with Coast to Coast coins - usually there is a catch in their deals somewhere.

I might not buy a raw coin from them, but in my limited experience, I've done fine buying certified coins from them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.