Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Need a second opinion fo a 1870 type 2 japan coin

jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need a second opinion for a 1870 type 2 japan yen. PCGS graded it as type 2 but I think PCGS is wrong. I think it is type 1 but I want to see if any one agree with me or with PCGS. I could be wrong.

Comments

• Options
    TokeiskiTokeiski Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am pretty certain PCGS is correct. The indentifier between type 1 and type 2 would be the "legs" on the en or yen character on the bottom left side. Type one has a short straight pointed down "left leg", type 2 has a longer pointed to the left "left leg". Your piece has the longer pointed leg and is therefore a type 2. I hope this makes sense.

I am based in Japan and have collected Japanese coins for a very long time, and often need to distinguish between many different varieties, not only the 1 Yen. If you are serious about collecting Japanese coins I highly recommend getting a copy of the JNDA yearly guide book. Although it is only written in Japanese, the pictures, descriptions and values are invaluable. No need to get one every year, just the latest version will suffice.

Kind regards

• Options
    TokeiskiTokeiski Posts: 23 ✭✭✭

Here is the scanned page from the JNDA catalog with my handwritten notation for types 1,2,3. Hopefully this is much more helpful than more poor attempt to decribe the same above.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Type 2 to me too. There is a bit of shadow or a hit that made the leg look truncated on first glance, but zoomed in and really looking I see the full 'leg'.

• Options

a cut and paste of a post I've made using my own photos as examples.

• Options
    edited August 17, 2017 6:25AM

And another thing I've posted elsewhere:

@Tokeiski --I'm curious, what the difference descriptions translate as for what my friend called 'normal' vs. 'regular'. If anything it almost looks like the left 'leg' in question could have been a die problem...at least from the two coins I took pictures from.

Also, can you show/describe the difference between the 'with border' and 'without border' for the type I yen? I haven't been able to get a proper description as my translating help was from a definitely non-numismatic person. Some of her explanations were hard to understand (though I was very grateful for the help she was able to give!).

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2017 2:02PM

Thanks a lot. I know the difference between type 1 and type 2 but the coin did looks like type 1 to me. Maybe stork is correct, it is truncated because the left does look short. I don't have the coin yet but I will look again when I get it. Thanks again. I need a 1875, 1878 to complete my Yen set.