Home Q & A Forum
Options

2003 Lincoln cent reverse, strange diagonal "extra column"

Hello. Obviously this isn't one of the DDR "extra column" varieties, but I'm just not sure what caused the diagonal "column" above Lincoln. It's raised above the field, just like it looks in the images. What's confusing to me is that, if it's just a die chip, it's so uniform and rounded along its axis. Looks like a real column, unlike all those "extra columns" listed as DDRs. I'm stumped.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 15, 2017 7:39PM Answer ✓

Take your fingernail and see if you can put a dent into the center of the bulge. If you can, it is an occluded gas bubble in a neat spot!

It cannot be a clash mark and it appears too rounded and smooth to be a tool mark into the die that would cause a raised mark on the coin.

If it does not press out, Post the image on the US coin forum and tell us the date and mint as that may help.

• Options
    dedalus_57645dedalus_57645 Posts: 22 ✭✭

@Insider2: it was a gas bubble! Thanks.

Answers

• Options

2nd image.

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a "very neat one" too!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting, I learn something new here everyday :smile:
    Thanks

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date