Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

PSA Holders with Plastic Sleeves

Just wondering what any of you know about the PSA holders that have a plastic sleeve inside holding the card. I just won a card in the Memory Lane auction that is like this. I really don't like the look of the plastic sleeve in the holder. I am speculating it has to do with the size of the card vs. the holder opening. However, I have many cards from this year in PSA holders and this is the first one with a sleeve.

Does anyone know what criteria is used to have the card in a sleeve inside the holder?

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I request the Mylar sleeve for cards with thin stock or that are prone to chipped edges.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2017 3:23PM

1955 Bowman baseball are hit and miss - many have the sleeve many do not.

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

@PSARich said:
    Just wondering what any of you know about the PSA holders that have a plastic sleeve inside holding the card. I just won a card in the Memory Lane auction that is like this. I really don't like the look of the plastic sleeve in the holder. I am speculating it has to do with the size of the card vs. the holder opening. However, I have many cards from this year in PSA holders and this is the first one with a sleeve.

Does anyone know what criteria is used to have the card in a sleeve inside the holder?

i have many cards like that

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's definitely for oversized cards, but I don't like how it looks either.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

I suppose it wouldn't be so ugly if they didn't jam it in between the slabs? Honestly to me it looks better in a card holder.. I wish they would fix this already but they are too busy doing other things I guess?

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I'm not the only OCD guy who has to tap the holder to get the card straight.

• Options
    electrodeelectrode Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2017 6:49AM

I had some PSA graded hockey cards that were first inserted in plastic sleeves and the certificate # was very low maybe perhaps PSA did this when they started out.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have one 1971 Topps card with the sleeve - I don't know why it is there, it is a standard sized card and the only one in my '71 Topps set that has it.

Daniel
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

1955 Bowman cards seem to sometimes have sleeve and sometimes not. Guessing dark border cards were getting chipped and this was the solution.