Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Suggestions for a Box of Twenty

I'm a long time lurker on the light side and recently saw someone's box of 20 that had coins from all over. So now I would like to put together my own box of 20 for countries that I have visited. I'm looking for suggestions on which coin to get for each country that would be a good representation for that country . No proofs or medals; It would be nice if the coin actually circulated.
Here are the countries:
Austria, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, France, Netherlands, Belgium, Poland, Finland, UK, Australia, Korea, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Turkey, Mexico, Canada. (I know that's not twenty but I am leaving room for future trips.)
Suggestions?

Wahnsinn

Comments

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Austria has a great series of 25, 50, and 100 Schilling silver commemoratives covering a myriad of topics.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of budget, and do you prefer coins that circulated at the time you were there or from any era?

The iconic Japanese yen:

• carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of those countries issued gold goins. It might be fun to get a 20francs/sovereign/5dollars from each...

• @carabonnair said:
    Most of those countries issued gold goins. It might be fun to get a 20francs/sovereign/5dollars from each...

Agree with you ... might be "fun" to try collect a gold coin from each Country ... since its only a box of 20

Examples of Swiss and sovereign ... this sovereign is from South Africa but Australia and UK also issued same coins.

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yup, I think figuring out your budget for individual coins would help greatly.

There are a lot of options for Mexico - cobs, milled reales and escudos, War of Independence issues, First / Second Republic, etc... Some of the easiest recognizable types include milled pillar or portrait 8 Reales and the Cap and Rays 8 Reales due to their use in international trade.

Personally, if I had the budget for it, I would add a hammered 8 Escudos from Mexico City:

• Manfred1Manfred1 Posts: 59 ✭✭

@TwoKopeiki

Nice coin ... will not fit in my budget ... will stick to more modern, affordable ones :'(

@Manfred1 You and me both! :)

You should definitely look at some nice MS "Resplandores" 8 Reales of the Mexican Republic. These could be found relatively inexpensively.

For Mexico, maybe a 1921 Dos Pesos. A Netherlands 2 1/2 Gulden is also a nice crown.

• To narrow it down let's say budget is up to $400 USD and minted after 1900 to make them a little more modern. I have been looking at the various Crowns but gold would be nice, just not as large.

Wahnsinn
  • coinpro76coinpro76 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭

@Manfred1 said:
    Examples of Swiss and sovereign ... this sovereign is from South Africa but Australia and UK also issued same coins.!

Canada also has Gold Sovereigns 1908C-1919C

I currently have Gold coins for Italy UK and France each under $400 USD if you are interested I could PM

all around collector of many fine things

Canada 5 dollars gold 1912-1914 are cheap now because of a hoard. For crowns, you can't go wrong with the Canada voyageur silver dollar, although I also like the 1939 with Parliament buildings.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Under $400 gold for Japan would be tougher.

There are some more common date silver 1 yen/crown size available 1901-1914 that could be had in the under $400 range. Going to a smaller size like the 50 sen would get you the something nice too. The Japanese market is a bit soft so you could get something pretty decent in this range.

For Austria, you could get a 20 corona with Franz Joseph, or a Republic 25 schillings in gold. In silver, I like the Mozart 2 schillings from 1931. I think these circulated.

The pre-1914 French gold 20 Francs is an attractive coin with a female head on the obverse and a rooster on the reverse. They are sold for only a few dollars over melt which currently would be about $250 or so.

• PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭

@Haidrunn said:
    To narrow it down let's say budget is up to $400 USD and minted after 1900 to make them a little more modern. I have been looking at the various Crowns but gold would be nice, just not as large.

That's budget and date range for Canadian coins gives you a lot of options. Perhaps a nice 1935 silver dollar? It was the first year of issue, commemorating George V's 25th year as King of England. Certified MS65 should cost in the $200-300 USD range, depending on the eye appeal. MS64 about half that, or less.

http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • ShadyDaveShadyDave Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd get a FatMan Dollar or a Dragon $ from China...but certified.

• So here is what I chose for Mexico.

Wahnsinn

Nice Railroad 5 Pesos!