Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pack Grading Questions - Cello & Wax

secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

If a cello pack is loose is it likely not authentic or why does everyone want "tight" cello wraps?
-----If it is just because cards are still moving then will a loose cello be just as secure once holdered?

Wax or Cello - Anyone have any success of "bumping" a pack grade? I have a psa 7 wax pack that has no rips or any damage that I feel was undergraded. I actually expected the pack to be clearly above that.

In order to get a high grade pack if there are no defects such as rips, what are they looking for to make it stand out? Centering of the wrap on the front? Clean white and coloring of the pack? Do the folds in the back if crimped matter? What are the secrets to look for to be unblemished beyond no rips? It is not like there is a pack grading standards like for cards.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2017 11:53PM

Grade of a pack is determined primarily by condition of the wrapper~any rips or tears or corner wear will affect the grade. For cello packs, the centering of the top card has some impact on the grade, but it is a much lower standard than it is for single card grading. If a card is noticeably OC but the pack is otherwise mint, they will typically downgrade to a PSA 8. Color and gloss (for a wax pack) and cleanliness of seal on back are factors, too. In my experience, the crimping of the wrapper on a wax pack has little to no effect on the grade of the pack.

Steve will not authenticate for PSA a pack with a "popped" or loose seal in the first place, even if it is otherwise original and authentic.

You can submit packs for review just like cards, but I have never tried it.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Grade of a pack is determined primarily by condition of the wrapper~any rips or tears or corner wear will affect the grade. For cello packs, the centering of the top card has some impact on the grade, but it is a much lower standard than it is for single card grading. If a card is noticeably OC but the pack is otherwise mint, they will typically downgrade to a PSA 8. Color and gloss (for a wax pack) and cleanliness of seal on back are factors, too. In my experience, the crimping of the wrapper on a wax pack has little to no effect on the grade of the pack.

Steve will not authenticate for PSA a pack with a "popped" or loose seal in the first place, even if it is otherwise original and authentic.

Thank you for the answers grote. I hope we can find confirmation of a pack being upgraded. Also does it take 55 business days to send back to Steve and all that or just PSA assess the grade from within the holder? I guess I can ask PSA everything beyond if a pack has been upgraded by any board member.

Anyone out there had success with PACK bumpage?

• Options

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

Thank you for the answers grote. I hope we can find confirmation of a pack being upgraded. Also does it take 55 business days to send back to Steve and all that or just PSA assess the grade from within the holder? I guess I can ask PSA everything beyond if a pack has been upgraded by any board member.

Turnaround for pack grading is 55 bda, but for a review, it would be change to whatever service level you select for review submission. Since the pack is already authenticated and Steve does not assign the grade anyway (PSA does), the pack does not go back to Steve, but is reviewed at PSA.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

Turnaround for pack grading is 55 bda, but for a review, it would be change to whatever service level you select for review submission. Since the pack is already authenticated and Steve does not assign the grade anyway (PSA does), the pack does not go back to Steve, but is reviewed at PSA.

I lean that you are correct on this, but I was told at one point by a PSA rep that Steve does suggest a grade for the pack and 9 out of 10 times it is used as the grade. I hope you are 100% correct though as it would significantly cut the time down in a review process if it never left the building to Steve. I may try it and report back...maybe I'll be the "bump" I seek as an example. B)

• Options
    edited August 14, 2017 5:49PM

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

I lean that you are correct on this, but I was told at one point by a PSA rep that Steve does suggest a grade for the pack and 9 out of 10 times it is used as the grade. I hope you are 100% correct though as it would significantly cut the time down in a review process if it never left the building to Steve. I may try it and report back...maybe I'll be the "bump" I seek as an example. B)

Good luck if you decide to review a pack~the regular service submission level is (I believe) 10 bda and at $18 would be worth the quicker turnaround. I have never encountered anyone who has reviewed a pack for a bump so it will be an interesting exercise. I think part of why you don't see many packs being submitted for review is that the value is not as dependent on the grade as cards are, as most unopened collectors are more interested in authenticity vs grade, but a bump would definitely add value, too, no question about it. In fact, the only reconsiderations I've seen were cases where a wax pack has been downgraded due to a tear in the wrapper caused by the gum during transit and perhaps that is why people are leery of sending packs in for review, as the issue of wrapper tears in transit was a common one for quite a while (though the newer holders have seemed to help resolve that problem in recent months).

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

When will they authenticate, grade and slab rack packs Tim? That would be the coolest.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2017 5:59PM

@belz said:
    When will they authenticate, grade and slab rack packs Tim? That would be the coolest.

No, unfortunately, they do not, Steve. From my understanding, the expense required to develop the prototype for a rack pack holder is cost prohibitive.

It would be rather cool, indeed, but they'd have to use softer, lighter plastic than they use for packs; otherwise, the weight of graded rack packs would be rather heavy once you got a few stacked up.

• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Got it. Not so fun to display in bbce holders.

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭

I always liked the holders GAI used for packs, cellos and racks. Why can't PSA use the same or very similar design?

Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2017 6:15PM

@dtkk49a said:
    I always liked the holders GAI used for packs, cellos and racks. Why can't PSA use the same or very similar design?

Also liked the GAI holders, at least the ones they used early on. The later version that hugged the rack I didn't care for.

But, yes, that would be a great design to utilize if PSA were to consider rack pack grading.

• Options

Has anyone done a pack review before?

Did it take the full 55 business day or close? I figured if it didn't need to be authenticated there was a chance for a fast turnaround. $35 per pack for review seemed steep, but hoping for nice upgrades.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

@secretstash said:
    Has anyone done a pack review before?

Did it take the full 55 business day or close? I figured if it didn't need to be authenticated there was a chance for a fast turnaround. $35 per pack for review seemed steep, but hoping for nice upgrades.

I did once, a few years back. Sent about 10 packs in.. had 2 bump as I recall, one of which was a 1980 Topps Basketball which bumped to a PSA 10 (pop 1 at the time), that more than paid for the review. Not sure if I'd consider another review in the future.

• Options
    DragnetDragnet Posts: 635 ✭✭✭

Forgot to mention -- I'm pretty sure it took the entire 55-business day length or somewhere thereabouts.

• Options

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if Steve was involved in the review process for a pack or if his services were not needed because of the authentication being done. I guess I will see them again in 3 months.

• Options

From my understanding and what has already been stated with regard to the pack grading process, Steve should be authenticating only, not assigning a grade to the pack. This was set up this way to remove any conflict of interest with the grading process.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2017 7:39PM

@grote15 said:
    From my understanding and what has already been stated with regard to the pack grading process, Steve should be authenticating only, not assigning a grade to the pack. This was set up this way to remove any conflict of interest with the grading process.

So they hold the pack hostage for 55 business days before they take a quick glance at it? :) I hope there is more to it than that, but I get it. I knew what the terms said, I just expected it to be quicker due to the shipping part not having to take place. Then again I did get charged the $5 @grote15 so I am not sure it isn't being sent to Steve.

• Options

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

So they hold the pack hostage for 55 business days before they take a quick glance at it? :) I hope there is more to it than that, but I get it. I knew what the terms said, I just expected it to be quicker due to the shipping part not having to take place. Then again I did get charged the $5 @grote15 so I am not sure it isn't being sent to Steve.

Perhaps the review process is handled differently, as I have never sent packs for review, but I know they've always made a point in the past by saying that Steve only authenticates the packs but does not grade them.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@secretstash said:

@grote15 said:

Perhaps the review process is handled differently, as I have never sent packs for review, but I know they've always made a point in the past by saying that Steve only authenticates the packs but does not grade them.

I decided to just ask PSA CS and they said they have to send to Steve for grading so it will be the full 55 days and also why the $5 shipping charge was incurred. In either case I trust Steve 100% and don't care if this appears as a conflict, but I wish I had known up front because I don't view Steve's initially low assessment the same as my thoughts on a normal PSA worker's mis-grade being changed. I guess I will use this thread as a case study at my expense. :)