Home U.S. Coin Forum

Crazy 1987 Penny- Die Error?

I have a 1987 Penny that has crazy impressions on obverse and Lincolns nose has doubling. A haze is around Lincoln.
I see scary faces and stuff and I'm completely sober and I wonder what else do they print on these machines that I would see that? What type of error or errors are these? Is it common? ,

Comments

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's caused by die deterioration. Yes it's common.

Larry

• Fee316Fee316 Posts: 89
    edited August 12, 2017 10:05PM

Ok Thanks.What causes the indention
    at top? The coin is indented with what looks like another coin or it was positioned in wrong place when struck. How does that happen after coin is minted? Die deterioration , is this same as impressions from dies from another coin that was still hot when this coin was struck.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not really a depression so much as the raised line below it making it look like a depression.

The raised line is caused by die wear. Blank planchets have an upset rim (the corners of the raw blank are pushed inwards) to help the dies form the raised rim of the finished coins. When the dies strike the upset planchet that upset rim is the first thing to contact the dies. Normally this does not matter, but over a long die life that initial contact can wear a shallow groove around some or all of the circumference of the die. This shallow groove causes a shallow raised ring on the coins, such as your coin has. Not rare, and not worth a premium.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you're searching rolls, pay extra attention to these two from the 1980's. the 1983 Doubled Die reverse and the 1984 Doubled Ear. You may get lucky and spot one. On the 1984, Lincoln's ear is clearly doubled just below the "real" ear.

The 1983 has clear doubling on E PLURIBUS UNUM on the reverse.
    You never know what you'll turn up.........keep searching. Here's some pics from Heritage

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file