Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1951 Berk-Ross & 1977 Pepsi Glove grading????

PSA lists prices for some 1951 Berk Ross cards (i.e. Hogan golf). Also the 1977 Pepsi glove set is listed in the registry. My question is how PSA grades and holders these off-size issues? I take it that the Berk Ross issues can be submitted without cutting the dual card, is that right? Is the grade then given for both cards individually or as the pair?? I have a full set with the boxes that I'm thinking of having graded if it makes sense.

As to the 1977 Pepsi glove set, I found a complete set in the back of my overstuffed closet. These cards are just about perfect, unpunched, still on the original glove card. Since PSA lists this set in the registry I assume they will grade the cards. If so how should they be submitted?? I don't have any holders for them. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Jeff
Selling off my collection, keeping my wife and house!!

Comments

• Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    Hi Jeff,

I think that your best bet would be to contact PSA directly. These are such odd-ball items that there are very few registry collectors and even fewer of them that hang out here on the forum.

Always a pleasure!!!
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Jeff:

I'll admit that I am honestly confused/unsure of how PSA grades the 1977 Pepsi Disc cards (as well as the Isaly's and insert the other 500+ disc issues of the late 1970s that utilized the same fronts).

I own a few PSA 10 Islay/Pepsi disc cards. They are all perfectly smooth around -- as if they were never inserted in the Pepsi glove. I punched out about 50 Mike Schmidt cards from the Pepsi glove, and am planning on submitting about 25 of them sometime in the indeterminable future. I will say two things:

a) It is very tricky/hard to punch them out correctly. You will probably mess up one or two until you develop your own process. But it is a fine line in getting the card out of the Pepsi Glove without bending it or causing bad nubs or some other form of damage. I can't remember my process exactly, but I ultimately cut the glove part in many places (perhaps eight to twelve) so I only had to separate a small portion of the inner disc from the glove. Separating the entire disc from the intact glove is not very feasible.

b) I have not yet seen how PSA grades the "nubbed" discs. I do think that these discs were available without the nubs, too, which perhaps lends to the confusion. All of the PSA 10's I own are without any nubs at all. I have seen SGC grade a few of the nubbed versions out at SGC 98, though. But PSA and SGC can be inconsistent in how they grade similar things.

Good luck with your submission -- if you submit some before I do, I would be very interested to hear your results.

All the best,
    MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.