Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Panda Medal and interesting eBay discussion?

Okay, so I won a copper Panda medal Auction with make me an offer on ebay. The medal listed as PF69 RD Ultra Cameo and graded by NGC. Now, I received it today and its great. It matches the NGC pictures and ebay pictures. So, I went back on eBay to look for the medal which is made in other versions(brass/silver) and the first image that pops up is a copper version but this one is PF70, so I take a quick look at it. Here is where it gets interesting. The first image has the serial number that matches my serial number from the medal I just received, but in the picture it's graded PF70. The remaining pictures show a different serial number. If I look up my NGC number but as a grade PF70 it returns no such item. So, did my medal get regraded, which if you have a PF70, why would you regrade it? So, I sent an email to both the seller of the new Panda and the person who sold me mine. The new seller said he doesnt know anything about it and that he used a friends picture which is of my medal. This all seems a bit weird to me. What do you guys think? I haven't heard back from the guy who sold me my medal. I took screen captures just in case, but it seems very fishy.

Don't quote me on that.

Comments

• Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

There is a good chance you got a fake medal in a fake NGC holder. I would call NGC and discuss it with them.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or is as you say your coin matches the NGC picture maybe the 70 is the fake. Either way I think the suggestion by @Jackthecat1 is a good one.

• StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do I have this right?
    You bought a PF69. Now there is a PF70 on eBay that has the same cert# as yours in one photo, but other photos show a different # (and with a different seller).

Is there a significant difference in the photos, where the one with your # shows some particular feature?

If I had to guess...if your cert # lookup on NGC matches your coin and grade (and photo appearances, though with a 69 or 70 modern I'm not sure how helpful the basic quality shots are), then I would feel better about yours. Any question and IIRC you can send it to NGC/show it to them and they can confirm it's okay.

I would suspect the new seller 'borrowed' the other seller's picture and photoshopped it to a PF70 for his/her listing. Could be just an attempt at making a 'stock photo' or could be the other shots are faked too. Did you run the other cert # through the lookup to see if it's a valid PF 70?

Even if it is, this is weird enough I'd send an email to NGC. There is a link to report a concern when you do a lookup.