Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Grading this 1857 Quarter Anna?

I found this coin the other day for a couple and cents and was pretty excited. What would something like this grade as? XF 40? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin! I'd say VF here.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 2:25PM

High F to Low VF

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

No more than VF20. Far too much wear for XF.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

Probably a silly question but would any of you get this graded by NGC? Seems like a scarce coin and honestly I think it would look great in a holder. I can't find any online in a NGC slab.... Can any of you find anything?

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider an Airtite holder for this coin. I like the protection Airtites provide and you can view the coin easily and even take it out of the holder if desired. I use them.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

F15. Not even close to XF.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

This coin is obviously not fully struck, and that is mostly NOT wear, so would not ding it that much. I could certainly go VF30.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Hmm very interesting may have to submit this one out of pure curiosity. Still trying to find any graded examples to compare.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I think 7 Jags is closer to the mark re the grade.
    The value of the piece may not make it worth slabbing however, a few dollars at most from my cursory lookup.

• Options

Ehh at a 40 NGC list says $125 but it's actually quite rare, honestly I have been trying to find one similar online for awhile and can't find anything. I just think it'd be cool to have it in a slab for my own collection, but maybe I'll wait awhile.

• Options
    RMWRMW Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

Apparently the 1857 is more rare than the 1858 but if the source I looked at was correct, tens of millions of these were minted. But I haven’t looked at other sources to double check.

• Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

It is true that the mintage says tens of millions of this date were minted but this date is actually scarce. I doubt you can get $125 for this since for this date collectors are only interested in AU and above. IMHO this coin is not worth slabbing and can try selling it raw. As for the grade would say VF.