Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Clean up a slab? Scratches + Tape residue

Picked this up for $15 the other day. Not the best coin but I had never seen one of these Stack's slabs before so I had to have it. However, the slab is scratched up and the pawn shop's sticker left a ton of sticky residue on the back. Any advice on how to clean it up??

Comments

• Options
    AmazonXAmazonX Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 11:19PM

Use goo gone for the the tape residue (Walmart, Target, Walgreens)

For the scratches: Novus plastic scratch remover. Hands down the best scratch remover. Number 2 will work for most scratches and number 3 is for the deeper ones.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 2:01AM

A drop of mineral oil rubbed on the reverse hologram with a paper napkin will remove all the sticker adhesive. Use a dry paper napkin to wipe off the mineral oil. Then spray and wipe a few drops of blue window cleaner which has just enough alcohol in it to fully degrease it.

The slab doesn't looked scratched enough to polish.

Novus works far better on PCGS slabs as it leaves micro lines on the NGC acrylic which your camera could pick up.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll have to give novus a try myself. Haven't heard of it until now. Last bottle I had I think was called plastX.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Plastx works the same as Novus.

Novus is more so a commercial product used in the acrylic industry.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite for tape residue is either repeated tape applied and pulled off until reside is gone, or for old dried out residue..peanut butter. The oil in peanut butter will soften the residue for easy removal.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WaterSport said:
    My favorite for tape residue is either repeated tape applied and pulled off until reside is gone,
    WS

This has always been my preferred option.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

BTW, why is this coin in a GENUINE slab - is there damage or is it that they did not want to pay for an actual grade?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Goo-Gone is the best, but rinse & rub after use, otherwise it smells.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of stuff will remove the glue residue. I use Plastx. Just add a dab and swirl around with your finger. Then wipe it off with a cloth.

Removing or lessening scratches on NGC slabs is next to impossible. The plastic is soft (which is why NGC slabs crush when snipping them unlike PCGS slabs which crack nicely). I've polished more than a thousand slabs using PlastX, Novus, and Slab-Renu, and none works well on NGC holders.

FWIW, Stack's had a large hoard of circulated silver graded by NGC several years ago. These holders are commonplace.
    Lance.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

plastx can be bought at the local auto parts store.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a bottle of PlastX and a small dropper bottle of unscented lamp oil, which I use for polishing or hiding scratches, respectively, when photographing slabbed coins. The lamp oil also loosens most sticker goo. If the oil can soak through a sticker (scuff up the glossy ones first), you can use it to remove a sticker from he old NGC hologram holders without damaging the hologram.

Polishing out scratches on an NGC slab depends on the generation of the slab and whether or not it has the scratch-resistant coating. Nothing works terribly well. PlastX and a lot of elbow grease will work, but I almost always reach for the oil to hide the remaining scratches. The two things that work best are reholdering and crossover.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 2:33PM

For residue I just use isopropyl alcohol. You probably have some right now in your house. Apply to slab & wipe with cotton cloth.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Spartcom5Spartcom5 Posts: 392 ✭✭✭

I was also wondering why the heck this got a genuine slab.... No damage as far as I can tell

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of using peanut butter. If I can't lick my pennies I'll lick my slabs and peanut butter doesn't smell so bad.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try using rubbing alcohol, it sum times works when removing sticker residue.

• Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to know, thanks !!! :)

Timbuk3
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me like goo gone on all label residues. Orange oil does smell like oranges so do it at breakfast time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just do not understand genuine holders. Why bother?

• Options
    MoneyMonkey1MoneyMonkey1 Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Goo-Gone for sure. Just cleaned a slab with it last week. Works great!

• Options
    ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

Duct tape to remove tape residue

Mineral oil for tape residue

Plastic Polishing compound for scratched Slabs.

Extreme Cases, Sand medium, sand fine, sand ultrafine wet, Buff with polishing compound.

Or just take a Hammer to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file