Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Frank Thomas 1996 Mirror Gold Has Finally Surfaced

This is on my top 10 list of dream cards. I have it on my ebay saved searches list for many years. It never has shown up until now - it is up for sale. It will continue to be on my dream list because I wont go anywhere near the asking price with a best offer.

To any others who have wanted this card (I know your out there) - here it is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-Select-Certified-Mirror-Gold-Frank-Thomas-1-/162623152515?hash=item25dd186183:g:EysAAOSwIWZZifgk

Comments

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

What's the print run on this card that would justify this price?

• BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 12:47PM

The seller is a Frank Thomas collector and isn't really looking to sell the card. I think he's just curious as to it's values and wants to see the highest offer he gets. He's set $10k as the price he'd be okay losing it for; otherwise, he says it's just a test.

Like you, this card is high on the old want list.

He claims to have found this copy in a dollar bin at an antiques mall maybe 18 months ago. Here it was originally.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2017 1:06PM

@Brian48 said:
    What's the print run on this card that would justify this price?

The stated print run is 30. Im going to take a guess at it and say that if it went for auction it could wind up in the 2K range. Obviously if 2 people go nuts battling for it could go higher

BunchOBull would prob have a better idea on a prediction on what it would go for than I do

I agree that the majority of folks after this card would call it a $2000-2500 card, and while I want it, I wouldn't personally pay more than $1200; I'd expect it to fall in the $3000-3500 if it were to go at true auction format. I suspect 2 of 3 of the fellas would get some bidding courage and take it over the top.

• Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh man. You mean to tell me he didn't tell the antique mall operator there were a few zeros missing on the price tag. What a jerk. :smile:

@BunchOBull said:
    I agree that the majority of folks after this card would call it a $2000-2500 card, and while I want it, I wouldn't personally pay more than $1200; I'd expect it to fall in the $3000-3500 if it were to go at true auction format. I suspect 2 of 3 of the fellas would get some bidding courage and take it over the top.

I always had in my mind that id pay $1500 for it and go up to $1800 if I ever had the chance to get it. I dont think I could ever pull the trigger if it was more than that

@Albertdidit said:

I always had in my mind that id pay $1500 for it and go up to $1800 if I ever had the chance to get it. I dont think I could ever pull the trigger if it was more than that

I get it completely. In the heat of the moment I could even see myself going that high, but my problem is, there are cards I value higher, namely the Crusade Red and a couple of other mythical cards. If I had those already, I'd likely be less hesitant to push. If I could, I'd go back in time and buy it and the #135 Pastime Power MG for $300 each from Burbank a decade ago. Foresight escaped me then though.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,385 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would much rather have the crusade red. If one of those ever came up, I would move heaven and earth to acquire it.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I've never looked into the crusader red since the mirror gold is my all time favorite thomas card id want to have

What do you think that one would sell for? Is it worth way more than the mirror gold?

• mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

In a dollar bin?!!? Oh my goodness gracious. This is one of my most wanted cards for Canseco, and I don't even know what I'd do if I ran into it in a dollar bin. I just might spontaneously combust right there on the spot! :)

The Crusade Red is AMAZING. I value the mirror gold higher, though probably only because I already have the Crusade. If the tables were turned, I'd value the crusade red higher.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

He wasn't really looking to sell it, but he had made it available for trade, and I considered it. In the end though, he was working with another collector for much longer, and I didn't want to undermine that, nor did I want to give up the cards it would have taken to acquire it.

He did finalize a trade last night though, so the card will be in new hands shortly.

@Albertdidit said:
    I've never looked into the crusader red since the mirror gold is my all time favorite thomas card id want to have

What do you think that one would sell for? Is it worth way more than the mirror gold?

I think a Crusade would push $4k. Had the opportunity to buy one for $500-600 many years ago, a high price at the time, but was finalizing the deal when another Thomas collector inquired about the card and the seller ran scared and stopped returning emails. Fast forward 2 years, another collector saw my communications with the guy on another site; the seller had seen my post about looking to buy a red Crusade and reached out publicly on my post. Any way, this 3rd collector contacted the seller to see if the card was still available, knowing that I didn't have it. Unfortunately, they closed the deal and he got it for just a hundred or so more than we had agreed 2 years prior...which, was a steal by that point. It was a disappointing series of events.

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭

@BunchOBull said:

@Albertdidit said:

I think a Crusade would push $4k. Had the opportunity to buy one for $500-600 many years ago, a high price at the time, but was finalizing the deal when another Thomas collector inquired about the card and the seller ran scared and stopped returning emails. Fast forward 2 years, another collector saw my communications with the guy on another site; the seller had seen my post about looking to buy a red Crusade and reached out publicly on my post. Any way, this 3rd collector contacted the seller to see if the card was still available, knowing that I didn't have it. Unfortunately, they closed the deal and he got it for just a hundred or so more than we had agreed 2 years prior...which, was a steal by that point. It was a disappointing series of events.

always give your best price when you find the whale

• lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

What distinguishes the mirror gold (and other colors) from other low population cards of the ‘90s? Was it the first time a technology was employed? Was the set it came with iconic? I am genuinely curious as there have been several threads recently I enjoy learning about parts of the hobby I know little about.

• JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I live in Davenport, IA where that card was apparently bought. I better head over there now!

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

The mid-1990's were my gap years in collecting. I had just started working and didn't have time for the hobby. I missed out on a lot of great inserts.

Mike

very strong price last night for the PSA 5 thomas. $3800

@brad31 said:
    What distinguishes the mirror gold (and other colors) from other low population cards of the ‘90s? Was it the first time a technology was employed? Was the set it came with iconic? I am genuinely curious as there have been several threads recently I enjoy learning about parts of the hobby I know little about.

I believe it was the first of the "ultra" rare parallels. They had a known print run of /30. The limited run blew the 93 refractors out of the water. They were also seen as each players "best" card to own at the time. I was collecting back then and it seemed that they were absorbed into collections fairly quickly. That may just be my perception as information traveled much slower back then. You just didnt see them at shows or in shops so they grew into these almost mythological cards, even commons were sought after. sort of the unclimbable mountain. at least that is how I remember it. They were also a very attractive card. I think maybe the combination of hard to pull, first ultra rare parallel, attractive and secured away in collections quickly all led to a perfect storm so to speak.

• brad31brad31 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Craig. That really puts it in context. Love seeing the passion on the board for these. They are nice looking cards.

your welcome, I am sure other collectors who were active at the time may have other recollections. I have a few Mirror gold's, but I think my favorite set of the 90's are the Crusade Red parallel. If you are unfamiliar with it, check them out. in hand they are amazing.

edited January 18, 2019 3:22PM

@craig44 said:
    very strong price last night for the PSA 5 thomas. $3800

Very strong is an understatement haha. This thomas card has reached beyond the stratosphere.

As much as i love this card personally I couldnt pull the trigger especially for a psa 5. I'd have to go with a nice rose or aaron rc instead if spending $3800

• mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 18, 2019 4:33PM

Last night's auctions weren't just auctions; it was an event. An event that will be remembered for quite a long time in our hobby.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Haha tanner

I was following the puckett..psa 9 went for almost $6,400

Imagine if the thomas was a 9 instead of a 5!!!!

I love 96 mirror golds but ive officially moved on from this phase in my life :smile:

• ahopkinsahopkins Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just amazing to me. I can't wrap my head around hammer prices for these. I have never even heard of them, but then again I don't dabble in anything from the mid- to late-1990s. Still, I would think I had at least heard of them. Who's dropping $4K on this kind of card in a PSA 5??? No one on this board talks about these cards, and then suddenly there's $4K paid for one? I'm clueless. Hahah!

Andy

• magicpapamagicpapa Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 19, 2019 2:11AM

@craig44 said:
    your welcome, I am sure other collectors who were active at the time may have other recollections. I have a few Mirror gold's, but I think my favorite set of the 90's are the Crusade Red parallel. If you are unfamiliar with it, check them out. in hand they are amazing.

Someone say Red Crusades??