Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Need help in assessing a few cards. - 1958 Jim Brown / 1976 Walter Payton 1980 Bird Magic Highlights

So I've had the chance to "cherry pick" some raw cards mainly from vintage. Probably every card and set could be bought from the main collection for a profit to be made, but I am not focused on that at the moment. I have my sight set on a few I noticed that I wanted and may go back for a few more following this. There are several scans included below. Feel free to give any and all opinions of 1 or all of the cards pertaining to condition, value, grade assessment, which company would you grade with on a specific card etc. I don't want to proceed foolishly so I want to be well informed on this before closing it so if you truly think a card is trimmed or is fake please let me know. Fwiw, I lean strongly that is unlikely in advance going in.

Thanks for taking a look and providing some feedback.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cards. Buy them and send to psa.
    Good luck!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Wow. Real high quality cards!

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.
  • Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

PSA for sure. That's a great selection!
    Payton looks to be in the 8 zone
    Gretzky 6.5/7
    Hendersons don't show any standouts reaching 9
    Bird Magic 7 because of print
    Have you checked for coloring on the 71's (Clemente top)?
    I have seen too many Brown RC's with grades all over the place, I'd expect at least 6-7
    Go back for more!! Good luck with the grades

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 9:43AM

@initialD said:
    Have you checked for coloring on the 71's (Clemente top)?

I do not see any discoloration, but if there is a better way other than a black light and a loupe then I will try it--please let me know. Thank you.

@JoeBanzai said:
    Good luck!

@JoeBanzai said:
    Good luck!

Thank you guys!

• Options
    AaronfromKyAaronfromKy Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 10:03AM

All those cards look very high end to me. If I were were nit picking I would say the Jim Brown RC is slightly OC in the front and Walter Payton RC slightly OC in the back. But that is being overly critical. Great cards!

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

No other choice, send them to PSA. If the sets are this nice, take a loan and buy the sets.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow on the mat Payton. Think it is an easy 8 and could be higher.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful cards. Grade away!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    No other choice, send them to PSA. If the sets are this nice, take a loan and buy the sets.

^^^ ... THIS! ... ^^^

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

Thanks guys. Appreciate it. PSA is the most likely outlet for these. I see so much range for a few of these that it is hard to lock down fair pricing. I think I will lean towards my side to protect the lowest possibility but you can understand why I don't want to come in low. I think I should consider the only possibility is to own them.

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 7:58PM

Great cards. If I ever run into a collection this nice I will be heading to the bank ASAP.

Instead, I always end up running into a stack of 1983 Al Hrboskys in PR condition.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

AWESOME.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That Brown rookie is nice, I concur on the PSA 7 grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Nice cards..love the sweetness!!

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

That looks like an uncharacteristically rough cut on the top edge of the Topps Gretzky, so definitely no more than a 7

(OP didn't have a back scan, but if you're going to tell me it's OPC instead of Topps, then I'll tell you that would make it a fake/reprint instead of authentic).

• Options

@miwlvrn said:
    That looks like an uncharacteristically rough cut on the top edge of the Topps Gretzky, so definitely no more than a 7

(OP didn't have a back scan, but if you're going to tell me it's OPC instead of Topps, then I'll tell you that would make it a fake/reprint instead of authentic).

Gretzky is the Topps version. I wish it were OPC though.

If you can shed some light on "uncharacteristically rough cut" I would appreciate it. I know OPC is much heavier on all sides, but I have seen most of the Gretzky's I've came in contact with have a rough cut edge. Similar to the 1986 Fleer Jordan RC it seems to be fairly common.

• Options
    edited August 20, 2017 12:58PM

*Update:

I bought all of the cards in this thread pictured as well as a handful of others. Will post the results and pics of the others hopefully soon.

Sent the Jim Brown and the Walter Payton in on a 5 day. The 5 day was received on Tuesday and has yet to show day 1 but hopefully we can get those two results in this coming week.

Any insight on the order pop start time recently??

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Congrats on sealing the deal!
    Did you pick up any sets? Curious to what else you picked up. Hope they pop soon and high
    Nice work

• Options
    JimMeantJimMeant Posts: 341 ✭✭✭

Payton rookie could be in the Psa 9 range IMO

-Collecting anything vintage
  • Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@JimMeant said:
    Payton rookie could be in the Psa 9 range IMO

agreed, very nice

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats Corey!

Kevin

• Options
    shu4040shu4040 Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

sweet

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done on both of those. Big time congrats!!!

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice hits, did you send in any others?

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

Congrats!!

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

Thanks guys. Glad they both made the holders they did!
    Walter I would have reviewed had I not got the feeling 9 was the ceiling from you all so you probably saved me some cash. I still may once, but usually one time isn't the charm needed and it's not a perfect card overlooked or anything--it just is a beauty.
    Jim Brown I am content with since the centering would likely not gain a bump and I've never had the pleasure of a full point although this card is tough to gauge for a plethora of reasons.

I haven't sent in any others yet, but I will update later on this once the others are sent. I likely won't be sending most of what I purchased in an express fashion since the timing is slower than expected lately, but the holdout for specials has become impossible. Bulk order time more than likely.

• Options
    edited October 20, 2017 9:24AM

The Brown RC is being sold by PWCC at the moment and ends this week. The Payton RC is being sold next auction through PWCC. Sorry to anyone who was hoping I had offered it here. I didn't even know you could do that until someone shared it with me recently so I may in the future the next time to give the members a chance if they want it.

I got 3 1959 topps back and promised I would share more as they came in. PSA has been holding hostage to most of my orders recently(8 in total) so this has been a bit stalled to share.

Other updates - 1987 fleer Jordans - both min size (they both measure...haven't decided if I will resubmit or BGS)
    - 1979 Gretzky RC - min size...measures right on. Already sent to BGS - waiting
    -1980 Topps Bird Magic RC - PSA 7 (I can show a pic later in holder if anyone wants but I haven't scanned it at all yet)

• most other cards still in grading waiting periods.

Onto the good stuff. 1959 Topps.

Not sure why the Drysdale got a 7, but maybe someone else can figure it out. I really thought it had a chance at a 9 and thought the white borders were so stunning. Should at least have been given the .5 designation for centering imo. The Gibson had some wax on front I believed while inspecting, but I didn't want to scratch it and thought it would hold it to a 6 to be honest mainly because of it so I submitted at a lower level even. I wonder if I had tried to remove the wax, would it have hurt or helped? ****Pretty stoked about the 8! ****

• Options

Im happy for you, Bud. Wish that kind of opportunity would happen to me one day.

• Options

Nice score on the ‘59s.

• Options

Are there white back/gray back variations on the 59's?

Successful transactions with FavreFan1971, ffishonn, Davemri, Publius, DavidPuddy, frcarvell, recbball, and many others...
  • Options

@CSUrunandstun said:
    Are there white back/gray back variations on the 59's?

I don't think there are back variations or at least not in the psa pop report.