Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Dollar grading

ajaanajaan Posts: 17,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

These should be easy to grade but I can't get a handle on this coin. Charlton's grading guide unfortunately only has drawings, not photos, but my coin does have an eyebrow and fairly complete canoe. Is there a newer Canadian grading guide with photos? What wear grade would you assign this 1935 Dollar? Very large images show all imperfections.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    ElmhurstElmhurst Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

I'd say this just makes 40 per Canadian standards, but appears cleaned so you have a details coin.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

EF 40 max, same as Elmhurst, agreed on cleaning.If it is graded by CCCS it might only get VF 30

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

30, harshly cleaned. Look on the CoinsandCanada website for grading guide:

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-grading.php

• Options

grading guide(although a great tool for many), but surely not grading norm.
    when I enlarge this coin, I can still notice some (Syl, as you call it with large cents) "vicky crud".
    I would suggest that a harshly cleaned coin has experienced a serious cleaning with everything removed.
    Wonder what a dip would do to this coin? IMO it does not look dipped.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

ajaan ... I PM'd you with 2 much better grading sites. I thought that the best one was lost forever in electron purgatory, but I found it again a few months ago. For those of you who want/need a good Canuck grading site, here it is:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140220174534/http://www.coinoisseur.com/GradingCoins.html

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 8:26AM

it should also to be noted that the original owner and originator of the site mentioned by syl is presently the Publisher of Canadian Coin News. Mike Walsh is a highly respected Canadian Numismatist with an interesting numismatic background.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

VF35 is my guess.

• Options

I need to correct my above statement re: Mike Walsh and Michael Walsh
    they are two different people.
    Mike Walsh is the publisher of Canadian Coin News
    and Michael Walsh is or was the owner of the Coinoiseur site. He is usually sailing around the world on his 50' yacht and or sipping Champagne somewhere on a sandy beach.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey, Shroomie! Wassup?

Put me down for XF40 on that one.

Gonna send you a Canadian coin related PM in a moment...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.