Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The National 2018 in Cleveland

Never too early to plan :). I live a bit south of CLE and plan on going. It will be my first one. I hope to remain an active forum member and develop some friendships and meet some of you.

How early do tickets go on sale or are there no such thing?

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Geoff

This is one event that's never too early to talk about.

Tho, I have to say, the bags that we used last week aren't even put away yet.

On the tickets? Ya got plenty of time for that.

You're lucky you can commute. Some of my friends are already thinking about the poor logistics of this location.

I'll be flying next year - so I'll take whatever comes my way.

Hope to meet with you.

Tho, early to talk, the meet up at BBCEx on Thurs. at 2PM in itself was worth the price of admission.

I've never met a nicer, friendlier, more gracious bunch of guys.

Mike
  • Options
    BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

I'm hoping to make it as well...not sure if my health and funds will allow. I've never been to any of them either and 2018 marks my 30th year in the hobby. I'm a bit of an outlier in the hobby...I don't do baseball as a general rule, and I'm not a high dollar collector...but I want to experience it at least once in my life. Hoping that there'll be NBA, NHL and NASCAR cards there for me, but even if there's not much, I will still enjoy the experience. Cleveland is a good target, although Atlantic City is closer, I'd rather go to Cleveland. I figure being my 30th year in the hobby is also a good reason to target this coming year.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I'm going to try to make it next year...Cleveland is def the most convienient location for me, about a 4 hour road trip

• Options

@pjb103183 and then we can go to the Pirates/Indians World Series in October '18.

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

I live 90 minutes from Cleveland and will do everything I can to be there, it will be my first one...

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    pjb103183pjb103183 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

I would love to see a pirates/Indians World Series, though I would be torn as I like both teams...I'm actually headed to Cleveland first thing in the morning to catch the Indians/Yankees game @1...though I want an Indians win, I must admit I'd love to see a Judge bomb!

• Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

@Gemyanks10 said:
    I live 90 minutes from Cleveland and will do everything I can to be there, it will be my first one...

You better make it Jimmy or I'll come hunt you down and kidnap you, Lol. For me, it is an 8 hour road trip, but well worth it as the convention center is on the outskirts of town.

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options

@cpamike said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

You better make it Jimmy or I'll come hunt you down and kidnap you, Lol. For me, it is an 8 hour road trip, but well worth it as the convention center is on the outskirts of town.

Haha hi Mike! I wanted to make it this year, but unfortunately work got in the way and couldn't get away for a couple days as that's the minimum time I would have liked to have spent at the show. Even though it's close next year, I'll probably still hang out for a couple days to really take it in. You have to understand that me at a show like that won't be good for the wallet lol...I'll be putting "hobby" money away all year for it. Looking forward to finally meeting all the board members and seeing old friends. Really want to make a Chicago one too as I love that city....everything should work out!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options

Read tickets go on sale in March

• Options

What do tickets normally cost?

• Options
    MarsAttacksMarsAttacks Posts: 279 ✭✭✭

Love the fact that we're talking about Cleveland already!

I am in agreement with others here that another major show (around spring training, Super Bowl weekend, etc.) is in order. The enthusiasm is there - maybe a smaller regional event?

Go Dodgers!
  • Options
    rounding3rdrounding3rd Posts: 287 ✭✭✭

I live in Cleveland, so I am excited about being able to attend my first one as well!
    -Michael

Working on Baseball HOF Autograph Set Registry
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I think this next year may be my year. If any of you guys have recommendations as to where to stay for ease of access and suggestions on what ticket package to buy, I would appreciate the input. Thanks guys...

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options

@cpamike said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

I was thinking the same thing Mike - see you there Jimmy!

Mike
  • Options

Am debating with some friends where we will stay?

Nice that the airport is near the venue as a plus.

Mike
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2017 10:43PM

@Stone193 said:

@cpamike said:

@Gemyanks10 said:

I was thinking the same thing Mike - see you there Jimmy! >>

Looking forward to meeting you too Mike! Have liked all the correspondence we've had since I've been a member here! Just need Tim and Paul there hopefully too!

And Mr. Vosburgh of course...

• Options

There are some hotels about 20 minutes south in Strongsville plus a really nice Mall and lots of great restaurants. There is always lots of traffic headed to the convention center but it moves well.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

CPA Mike recommmended the Sheraton; So I vote that members stay there. Maybe we can get a block. I don't mind trying to work that deal when the time comes.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

@Sdub said:
    CPA Mike recommmended the Sheraton; So I vote that members stay there. Maybe we can get a block. I don't mind trying to work that deal when the time comes.

Count me in

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@linunxabuser said:
    I looked at the Sheraton but it was booked already. I found an kick-ass little Airbnb like 6 minutes from the I-X. This will be my first National!

I'll be there scouting for 2011 Topps Heritage tints and some other sets I collect.

Hum...Is there another hotel anyone recommends. CPA Mike? Suggestions?

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2017 11:21AM

I always stay in Middleburg Heights right off I-71 at Bagley Rd., there is plenty of hotels there and it's about a 10 min drive to the IX Center.