Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1977 Topps Update

Just thought I would test out how many collectors of this set are left??

The latest reports:

Dec 01 Total graded 3859
PSA 10 = 1
PSA 9 = 368 no qualifiers
PSA 8 = 1858 ditto

Jun 02 Total graded 5434
PSA 10 = 2
PSA 9 = 701
PSA 8 = 2631

Any 77 builders left in the world..post your thoughts...heck anyone post yours thoughts image

PS to Danny(former #1 registered set owner) if you ever read these threads, thanks for those 77's image

Comments

• Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I just busted open a dozen racks, and found that while the quality was AWFUL, I liked the look of the cards that might wind up getting a 9. I might join the fray for this set yet. I also like the 660 card total, which is a very manageable number.
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    660 is a whole lot of cards... i dont know much about this set. but my guess would be that if you are looking for a return on it. then u should only go after psa 9's. i was checking out some of the modern sets and it was surprised to see set builders w/ less than a 9.00 gpa

except for the 91 desert storm set. every single after 75 should be done in psa 9 or better. ....Ethan

"Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    660 is not a lot for vintage.
  • Options
    i would think the 77's would fall in the modern category. and i still think its big i mean it takes over 6 cards to move just one percent. ...Ethan
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    77 Topps in all PSA 9 would be brutally difficult. I really don't think it's ever going to happen. I hope I am wrong, but I can't see it.
  • Options
    four different set builders are trying for 9.00 or better on the registry. ... althought that might take a while. maybe an 8.50 gpa would be a very decent set.......Ethan
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    kurt
    77 is no walk in the park, centering seems to be the biggest downfall with this set.it almost seems the left,right and bottom should be the same were as the top border should be a little larger, sort of like 79 topps football.
    the card looks funny when it's 50/50 t b,no?

jack
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    On the horizontal cards 50/50 centering looks good to me. The vertical(vast majority)look fairly good to me 50/50. I think I agree however best would be 55/45ish with the top border being a "touch" larger. That makes the left and right seem more in sync with the bottom if I really stare at it. The borders are so thin that obviously a mm can throw this off a ton.

The centering can get so bad, that I have pulled cards showing 4 cards on 1 right out of packs. Often get 2 cards on 1. I have just about a half a set worth here with at least 2 cards on 1. So, as you may imagine I quit buying packs, etc. I feel odds are better breaking sets and lots, and after finsihing selling as many VG-EX sets as I can to recoup some money from that aspect.

I haven't opened any 76 wax so I can't say I know what they are like out of packs??? Must be somewhat similar??

My guess is they must be a little better as 76 currently is the "soft" set of the 70's with 21% of all cards submitted 9 or better NQ.