Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thinking of buying a Case for Breaking

Sold a couple guns and won some decent money playing poker with friends last week.

I'd like put this found money towards buying some modern cards for ripping.

Where are the best deals and what card company?

Is it too late to chase Judge chromes and autos?

With the Judge Mania is there a premium for the Bowman Hobby Jumbo Box vs say six months ago?

Should I look forward towards Basketball?

Comments

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2017 5:50PM

you may want to seek some advice from the modern collectors at blowcards forums, they probably have many data points you seek.

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya Bob

Are you doing this for fun or are you looking for an ROI?

As big as Judge is? I've seen a ton of his stuff on eBay - so I would go with the advice of talking with like minded people at blowout forum e.g.. for advice.

This is just a guess. Those who make money ripping - buys cases - looking for the "case card" to put them over the top.

Now you can get lucky. I bought 2 blasters of TSC and pulled a Judge "base" redemption card - have already done the redemption.

And just to show how saturated he may be getting? Some cards will trade for big bucks - but one of these redemption cards went for less than 200 bucks.

Good luck buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

IMHO, Don't get caught up in the Judge hype.

• Options
    slum22slum22 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭✭

I am a basketball guy so my opinion is admittedly biased but I would probably lean towards ripping a case of 2017 Prizm BK. That product generally returns a fair amount of value because as opposed to being hit dependent on one or two Autos a box the risk is also spread because value can be returned by hitting base and colored Prizm parallels of the big RCs. This draft class is supposed to be particularly stacked and already has a recognizable star in it. I have never bought a modern case but am planning on doing it for this product. Only risk is if Panini decides to roll the presses because of the hype around this draft class.

If I were doing baseball I have seen friends do very well ripping 2017 Heritage. I am not sure what Judge-mania has done to Heritage unopened prices but like Prizm I like that there are ways to win besides hunting for one big auto.

I would agree that checking out the Blowout message board is a good way to get some ideas on your break. For purchases I would check out:

DACardWorld
    Blowout Cards
    Steel City

I generally find the best prices on either DA or BO. Those are the two biggest unopened modern product purveyors in the current market.

Good luck in whatever you decide and please post some highlights of your rip on here.

Steve
  • Options
    unclebobunclebob Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

I have a better understanding of what "prospecting" is all about.

I will look at hoops and spread my bets.

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

Topps 1991 Baseball offered a complete run of their 1952-1990 cards as inserts in the wax packs. Has anyone heard if a buyer pulled a '52 Mantle?
    If that card (and many others!) are still out there, that could be a good case to take a shot with.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I handled over 40+ cases of 1991 Topps BB at my shop
    during that time. I never saw or heard of any of those cards
    being pulled. Most collectors in my area NE Tn thought
    that it was a gimmick. I know they were supposed to be
    there but no dice. The '52 Mantle would have been a
    redemption card due to its size.

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

@ElvisP said:
    IMHO, Don't get caught up in the Judge hype.

This

• Options
    CenteredMantlesCenteredMantles Posts: 164 ✭✭✭

If you are looking for a fun case to rip I would highly recommend 2017 Topps Archives. There are still some monster Judge cards unpulled and you have live on card autos of Judge, Benintendi, Bregman etc and some very nice HOFers. The base Judge card is also a very very TOUGH card to pull Gem. This one has serious centering issues out of the pack. It's also a fun set to put together with the SP photo variations, different designs etc.

Heritage is always fun but you can take a serious beating and there are many more chances at Judge Autos in Archives.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on Archives. Lots of Judge pulls for regular and autos as well. The Bazooka version and all star are usually gem out of the pack, but like Centered stated the other one is notorious for off center issues.

KC