Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The National...thoughts, pick ups and feelings

The last time I was at the Nationals in Chicago, I was in High School (20 years ago). I went with my dad, and we met Ernie Banks. He signed my Jersey (cost $65 to get him to do that) and we stayed a few hours it was fun.

This year when I went with my dad AND my own kids, it was very nostalgic, we stayed a few hours and had even more fun...heres why...

We went the final day (yesterday) some of the dealers were already gone, and the crowds were not huge, but the feeling of excitement was there...at least for me and my kids. At first step into the massive hall, It was like walking into a museum and a trip down memory lane. I felt like kevin costner.

I was blown away by the amount of ungraded, "raw" cards being sold, after all the hype of what I call "grade wars" (PSA V. BECKETT V. OTHER BECKKET V. SGC V. ANY OTHER THREE LETTERS YOU CAN COMBINE), to find so many ungraded cards was refreshing.

I will say, that for me, the thought of buying an ungraded card, especially one with any value, has become a very unattractive option, and the price of those raw cards is proof to that. Either way, my kids were able to find the jersey and bat cards in the cheap boxes and that was enough for them.

I was impressed with the non pushy dealers, and the dealers willing to talk and chat, give their advice and help on any and all questions we had. these guys LOVE the hobby and it shows. Honestly, its a low pressure atmosphere that I never remember getting at a neighborhood card shop.

The TOPPS booth was so kid friendly, and the "pack wars" reminded me how much the hobby is still very much alive. Watching my kids (and hundreds more) chanting "topps, topps topps etc" was a little like a scene from lord of the flies, but still they had a good time, and one of my kids even one a raffle with a hat, jersey and a pudge auto card numbered to 99.

My kids had an amazing time!

As far as my pick ups went, I had been looking for a jordan fleer rookie card for a while, needless to say the market is SATURATED with them, and the grades and prices vary so much it was giving me a headache. While I did almost purchase a beckett graded 8 for $950, I ended up passing on it and was happy to find two cards I had always wanted to buy, **A gem 10 griffey UD rookie which i picked up for $350, and a mint psa 9 jordan fleer sticker card which i grabbed for $700. **Both great pick ups in my book.

btw- i did go back to the dealer who offered me the beckett 8 jordan and asked if it was still avaialble, and he told me it was "packed up" already...so don't worry, there are still people in the hobby, who just dont care.

anyway those, are my thoughts...I welcome yours!

Thanks for "listening"

Comments

• Packed up already. Wow.

We should make a list of sellers never to deal with.

• momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

yup..it was before 2pm. I can tell you exactly located on the floor as well i think it was 861-863. right accross from topps and next to the guys who had all the framed up pics.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I wonder if the dealer figured out that $950 was a couple hundred under what they had been going for and decided against selling it for that price

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

that was my feeling initially, but they didnt seem overall friendly and its still $950 in the hand. they were onlyl asking $1100 on the sticker.

id rather look on ebay and take my time and see how the market goes. im happier with my 9 jordan sticker purchase

My pick ups

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

The Kid looks gorgeous in the lighthouse flip!