Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some newp small diameter bust quarters

spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was offered an interesting opportunity to purchase a date set from 1831-1838 in small diameter bust quarters in P45, CAC. The dealer nicely sent me all 8 on consignment. After inspection I decided to purchase 7 of 8. They were simply perfect XF examples with not too much human assistance, if any, the kinds of coins JA loves to bean and that I love as well. Some of them upgraded lower grade examples which I will now sell, some of them were die marriages I did not have, and some of them were were duplicates but different die states. All of them, with the exception of the 31, were different shades of grey and charcoal, no vibrant colors. What a wonderful set. While I love colorfully toned CBQ's and have many, gotta love these as well, some would say original. Post yours as well. I add a 32 in P40 recently acquired for my collection as well, to show a complete small diameter CBQ date set. Thanks go out to the dealer that nicely thought of me first for this set.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...

Comments

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice group.

Larry

• Options
    tdiaz1979tdiaz1979 Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking quarters! I especially like the 1831 and 1838 in this group. I'm hoping to find some keepers at the ANA.

Posting an 1833 because it is a quarter thread and those are few and far between. Reverse scratching is on the holder.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice coins, i much prefer grey-brown primary toning to colorful secondary toning, particularly at this grade level and below

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    msch1manmsch1man Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭

Great coins...they're all great in their own way, but I particularly like the look of the 1838.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like em all. Great group for sure.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! What a terrific opportunity! That was a heck of a nice deal to be able to grab at one time.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent quarters!

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful well matched set!!!

• Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 11:33PM

That's pretty cool, SH. They look like some nice ones. Here is another XF45 1837 B-4, die state b.

1TwoBits

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options

Nice 2B, you have the large obverse die crack on yours.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    EagleguyEagleguy Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! XF45 is such a sweet spot for affordability and good detail on the capped bust quarter series.

• Options

thanks everyone for the nice comments. Off to ANA at 4 am tomorrow morning, hopefully will find some nice BQ's.

Best, SH

• Options
    BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

I particularly like the 1834 and 1836!

Hope to see you at the JRCS meeting. Please introduce yourself.

Brad

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice group!
    That '34 looks AU.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file