Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My National Recap and Purchases

Well this was my 4th national and 3rd since getting back into the hobby in 2012. I was at the National in Chicago in 1989 and then the last 3 years in Chicago as well. I'm originally from Champaign, IL so I swing thru home and visit Mom then make the trip up for a few days then back down and back to KC. Next year I will be going to Cleveland as my wife and I are going to all the stadiums together. I have hit 21/30 and she's hit 17/30 with me. Cleveland will be one for her to get off her list but I've been before so here's to hoping the Tribe will be in town for a day so I can "suggest" we go for a game. Ok so away I go with my thoughts and recap.

My highlight of the show was meeting the CU Board members on Thursday afternoon. A ton of fun and great to meet so many of you. I wish there was more of a selection of product to break but I think the lack of sealed cases shows how strong the market is for sealed cases and / or FASC product.

My disappointment for the show was the lack of mid 70's to mid 80's high grade cards. I primarily collect unopened but do put away a few other things from time to time. I went with a goal in mind to add several HOF'ers from 1975-1985 in PSA 9 or 10 depending on player and price. I saw some but not anyone really specializing in those years. I saw tons of tobacco, 1950-1970, and lots of 2000's bowman and other prospect types. This must have been an area the buyers group cleaned out last year. I'm sure I missed some along the way but I just didn't see a lot of it. Maybe the profit margins are too low and with the high set up costs, etc it's something that doesn't make it onto dealers tables. Just my observation.

My Tiger Woods victory fist pump was for my 1986 Topps FB wax box being authenticated and wrapped by BBCE. Last October I walked into my LCS and they had this box sitting in their showcase. This LCS usually doesn't have anything unopened past 2015 so it was a bit of an anomaly. At the time these were going for $2200 on Ebay and BBCE. I asked what he wanted for it and he said $900. Ok, let me see it. I could not find a thing wrong with it. Seals looked good, corners were sharp, nothing. I took a shot and I'm glad I did. A few weeks later I went back by and he mentioned he thought I got a real good deal on the box. I said yeah only if it comes back authentic. He said he knew it would because the guy he bought it from was an old customer of his and has stuff from decades ago. The guy at the LCS said he paid $500 for it so he was thrilled to make $400. I guess its a real Win / Win since we all made a decent deal.

My head scratcher of the show was Panini and Topps give aways. I did not participate but I heard Topps was running out of their redemption packs by noon and Panini ran out as well. Then I heard they started limiting it on how many you could redeem. A guy I know bought a case of a Panini product on Thursday and they were out of the packs so on Friday he got in line with his 12 boxes and they told him they would only redeem 3 boxes at a time and he would have to stand in line 4 times to get his packs. Well the packs ran out by his 2nd time thru. Here's my issue. This is the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series of your industry. If I pay $1000 for a case of your product, lug it around, stand in lines, I expect to get my bonus packs. You ran a promotion then did not deliver. I would be very upset if I spent money on a box or case to get these bonus packs and then not get them. My suggestion is either set clear rules on how much you can redeem before the show so you don't run out, don't run a promotion, or don't run out.

My big thumbs down of the show was to Topps. I only say that because I have several of their apps. Bunt is the one I enjoy. I trade and get my free coins but don't buy anything. In 2015 they had a Bunt guy set up and if you went by and showed him your app he gave you free coins. Cool I thought and I was disappointed they didn't bring anyone from their app team with them. Seems like in todays day and age this would be an area you want to promote. Me and probably 4 other people even noticed this so most likely not a big deal but I wanted my free coins darn it!

My where did it go of the show was the 1993 Topps Finest Case from BBCE. Manny and I even discussed this at the meet up on Thursday that we both wanted a box from it. I went by Friday morning and someone had bought it. I saw 2 loose boxes around and the ask was $750 a box. Whoever scooped up the case for $6K / $500 a box bot a great deal IMO. Congrats if it's someone on here.

Ok so these aren't all my purchases but the ones I'm most excited about. Thanks for reading and I'm glad to get to meet many of you and look forward to seeing you all again in Cleveland.

K Durant rookie year box. This box I could see behind a shelf at the BBCE booth. They quoted me a price $50 cheaper than the 1 other dealer I had seen it at. I scooped it up.

Got this box from BBCE as well. Kobe rookie and who doesn't want a box with MJ on the front. I busted many of these boxes years ago before I came to my senses and I'm glad to but this one in the display.

I eyed this box from the early posts from Tuesday night. Actually found this one at Kruk's booth and he cut me a great deal on it.

Last but not least I decided to add 2 iconic basketball packs to the collection. The 1980 Topps and the 1986 Fleer. I didn't set out to get an 86 with a Jordan sticker showing but you know when they are sitting right next to the regular packs why not. Super excited to not only add an 80 & 86 but really thrilled to add one with MJ showing.

Kyle

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
#FIREDAYTONMOORE

Comments

• robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 12:58PM

• divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, those are some nice pickups.

Thanks for sharing your experience for those of us that could not attend.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

ty for the recap, well done!

• ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Great pickups.

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Kyle - Overall sounds like you had a great time. Nice additions to your collection.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Great recap and pickups.

• cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

It was great to meet you Kyle! You did very well with those basketball unopened...congrats!!

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • sushihotwingssushihotwings Posts: 452 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I absolute love your taste in wax. Right in my sweet spot for what I am currently hunting.

On the hunt high grade Star Basketball.