• Options
    belzbelz Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

I'm such a sucker for unopened

"Wots Uh The Deal" by Pink Floyd
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

@belz said:
    I'm such a sucker for unopened

Nice pickups. Does Steve still have the 1976 wax tray rack as well as the 1961 rack? They had some great racks this year, and congrats on the 75 rack pickup!

KC

• Options

Yes...they still have both. Thought long and hard about the 76 wax tray.

• Options

Bummed that Jeff wasn't here today...guess he sold his spot for Sunday.

• Options

Does anyone have info on potential sequencing of 75 racks? I plan to open and will share photos as I go in a separate thread for anyone interested. I have no clue, so hoping it's all random.

• Options
    cardcountrycardcountry Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

@belz said:
    Bummed that Jeff wasn't here today...guess he sold his spot for Sunday.

Sorry Steven! I have to work tonight so I had to come home early. I didn't sell my spot- someone must've taken the opportunity to grab the empty tables!

Jeff

Jeff Foy/Dave Foy
    Card Country
    Graded stars 1950's-1980
  • Options

The table next said you sold it. The person that was there couldn't afford the table with all his cards, lol. Hope to connect again soon, great seeing you as always Jeff..you're the best in the hobby.

• Options
    jmoran19jmoran19 Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭

@belz said:
    Does anyone have info on potential sequencing of 75 racks? I plan to open and will share photos as I go in a separate thread for anyone interested. I have no clue, so hoping it's all random.

No not random, cards from each section come from specific sheets. Note there are multiple sequences to Georgie. Grote is an expert for this year

John

Current obsession, all things Topps 1969 - 1972

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

I think have a number of sequences from racks we broke a couple of years ago. Will try to dig them up and post them.

Dave
  • Options

Thx for the info and if you have any idea on the sections specifically that I hold that would be great...funny is on day 1 they had 5 racks and today it was the only one left and it was the one I would have bought on day 1...reason being is it was the one that looked to have the best edges and corners. If there's any hof power that will be sweet.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing jumps out at me looking at the cards on top but sequences can and do change multiple times in mid pack.

Only one way to know for sure. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

That's cool to hear...I will most certainly bust and share player by player as that was always one of my favorite parts of this forum. The price point compared to other racks and wax trays was just too nice to pass up.

They had multiple racks from 77 on as well as plenty of trays from 79 and 80.

They had one 77 wax tray that was listed at 6 bills as well as the 76 same price. Almost pulled the trigger on the 76 but wasn't feeling the condition on one of the packs.

I should have bought up the remainder of their 75 mini wax packs as they had 4 left and the one I opened had some really clean and some nicely centered cards.

There were a few dealers that had unopened packs from 72 on that were less expensive but I struggle to buy anything that hasn't been verified by Steve.

In all I was pleased with the show all week long. Unopened football did well by Steve and some specific Baseball. 1983 always beats 1982 and 1981 yet the price stays the same at 260 a box. There was certainly a lot of empty areas across the board from Wednesday to Sunday which was nice to see..Steve was pleased as well.

In other areas, there was a limited amount of high end cards with high grades...most priced too high...707 sportcard (sp?) had fantastic cards but wouldn't deal, not even for market prices, so I moved on..was actually surprised a bit at their lack of interest. It reminded my of the hot chick in college with a bad attitude..lol..not worth it.

There was one table that had all their modern high end cards in PSA holders and I have to say it was pretty darn cool compared to the BGS holders that never seem to hold up well. PSA in my opinion is just leaps ahead of BGS no matter what card their grading.

Lastly and for sure read on as it might be helpful...Wednesday night PSA reviewed some monster mantles for me. I went to the short line for expedited grading. Out of the 4 I reviewed, 3 stayed the same (which all 3 were the best mantles I've owned for years) and they put in the new holder which I recommend you all do with the ones that are important to you...much improved security. The 4th card they reviewed I had just purchased was deemed fraudulent which shocked me...thankfully I was reimbursed by the seller immediately and Joe wrote me a letter describing the issue with the perfect looking flip. They didn't charge me for the grade and although I was floored, it was a big lesson and I'm so glad I'm not sitting on any big cards in my collection that aren't completely legit. Be careful out there...lot of thieves. I heard about multiple Jordans that are bad...I would never buy a big card that wasn't in a new holder...just not worth the risk and I was lucky to get reimbursed immediately.

Sorry to end on a sour note but that was a big deal and one I want the good people on this board to remember.

Steven

• Options

Forgot to mention that the 73 cello football box with Bradshaw and Harris on top I was offered double by a guy that said he saw me bought it and needed it for his collection. That was pretty cool but not selling...if anyone has any 73 cellos for sale let me know as I'll psa the Franco and Bradshaw and rewrap the box...I'll pay a premium as very few cellos exist.

• Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

What grade/year was the bad Mantle and what was the issue with the holder?

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve...

Did the serial number checkout on the fraudulent Mantle? What year was it? What was tipoff that PSA knew it wasn't legit?
    Tread carefully...I guess.

Monte

mint_only_pls
  • Options

The guy I got it from is a real stand-up guy imo and it was consigned to him...that being said, I don't really want to share too much as it would reflect badly on him and I don't think it's necessary.

PSA said the flip on the front side was copied and the back was a legit back..the flip was prior to the reflected psa logo...the card was perfect but was altered/trimmed slightly but tough to the eye and in the end completely fraudulent. The psa person who took the card told me in his opinion it had a real chance of bumping and was worth the money I was laying down...That's all I want to share in a public forum, it was more to just make people aware that criminal activity in our hobby is alive.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great to finally meet you in person Steve, and you have some incredible Mantle cards. Your 58 in an 8.5 is an absolute monster. Glad you did well with the 73 cello box and what a great pickup. Until next National!

KC

• Options

Ya. Steve mentioned later the other guy was right on my shoulder and wanted my box but couldn't pull the trigger Tuesday during set up and ended up buying the other one..totally should have bought both.

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

@belz said:
    Forgot to mention that the 73 cello football box with Bradshaw and Harris on top I was offered double by a guy that said he saw me bought it and needed it for his collection. That was pretty cool but not selling...if anyone has any 73 cellos for sale let me know as I'll psa the Franco and Bradshaw and rewrap the box...I'll pay a premium as very few cellos exist.

...... and another frankenbox is born.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1all said:

@belz said:

...... and another frankenbox is born.

I would also keep the box intact and original with the two star packs inside instead of cherrypicking them out.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

If the cellos of Bradshaw and Harris are really nice I'd love to have them authenticated by PSA and displayed in my pack collection as incredibly one of a kind items. I will also keep the box and be very happy wiith it and full disclosure to anyone I ever sold to if and when..Everyone has different interests in their collection, plus if I can't replace with like quality packs it'll stay intact..thx for your opinions though.