Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

National Card Convention

I attended my first National in over 25 years and had the following observations:
1. I saw mor raw material than I expected. I assumed dealers with great material would have them graded to maximize their profits and also give their customers some comfort. I did not see that.
2. I was very surprised dealers were unwilling to negotiate their prices. I was shopping for two high-end cards and can purchase them cheaper on EBay.
3. The material at the National was incredible!!

Comments

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

For #2, ebay is nice, but there is something to be said about seeing a card in your hands vice a crapy scan before buying...especially high end...so you pay for this privilege at a show. Also, if the cards you sought were truly rare, then their were likely few on site at the show and.....basic economics apply. Normally when someone claims, "i can get it cheaper on ebay," i just tell them, "thank you for informing me, good luck closing your ebay dealings." The buyer walks away and about 2 hours later rolls up ready to by my card. Supply vs demand....buy the card, not the holder....and...have the cards in your hands before you buy....these all drive prices at a show. I dont fault dealers to having high asking prices for specific cards. A show is not ebay. There is not inventive for them to start low when no one has something to compete with

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2017 12:12PM
    1. There may be a reason for that. It was common practice to restore cards in the '80's when I started going to shows.
    2. I think you see more and more specialty sports auction sites pop up because people prefer to bid on cards vice buy-it-now pricing
  • Options

High Grades Legends......you make a good point about the dealers unwilling to negotiate. I was not trying to be judgmental of any of the dealers...........just making and observation from someone that hasn't been to a National in 25 years. I, in fact, met many dealers who were friendly and professional. I just thought they were a bit too proud of their material!