Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

LEU NUMISMATIK ZURICH - INFORMATION

LEU NUMISMATIK first Web auction was an amazing success - well described on the WEB/Internet and great photos. I am following Leu, one of the greatest names in Numismatics, the name started in Bank Leu Zurich under Dr. Mildenburg who was my first mentor.

I saw the preview of a few of the coins in the up-and coming FLOOR AUCTION 1 to be Zurich on the 25th Oct. I look to being there at the Auction in ZURICH to see the buzz of the floor.

STILL EXCEPTING CONSIGNMENTS

interesting - first floor auction following an amazing Web Auction

Petition Crown
The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $

Comments

• petitioncrownpetitioncrown Posts: 62 ✭✭✭

INFORMATION -

Yves Gunzenreiner - Director +41 52 214 11 11 ygunzenreiner@leunumismatik.com
    Lars Rutten - Senior Numismatist +41 52 214 11 10 lrutten@leunumismatik.com

https://leunumismatik.com/en/aboutleu

Petition Crown
    The Worlds Most Prestigious and Valuable Silver Coin. Thomas Simon and two Kings of Numismatics together Petition Crown & 1804 $
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear the sale went well. Strange to see the name resurrected, but I guess it doesn't really matter.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Hi Andy - we can look at it another way - the name was just dorment for a short time. I know Yves the Director, quite an inimitable charachter already. Our hobby, is going through changes very quick due to the internet and Yves sees the future in his eyes changing with his offer the collector.

We have today a hobby that is or becomming an alternative investment or can remain a hobby for the majority of collectors. It is great because it is portable, we have a great number experianced dealers that can assist us to build and guide us in our collection if we wish to have their services.

I love our hobby, it is 57 years ago when I bought my first coin. See my website which shows a few pieces of the collection. Now I am fortunate I have two boys who now slowly are continuing with our collection.

www.petitioncrown.com

Petition Crown
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I meant that it was odd to see the name resurrected because I was under the impression that neither the company nor the name was sold or given away. (Is that correct?)

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Hi Andy, you are correct - the company ceased trading, Yves re-registered the company and as you my have noticed Leu which today belongs to Credit Suisse gave approval to use the web site that was in Credit Suisse name. Yves is an amazing young man, although under 30 he has been collecting and studying foe over 20 years. He got his degree in Zurich University. Spent a few years trading and being the head of Nomos in Zurich. I personally like him, he has been also developing an amazing numismatic library and has what we all like photographic memmory and a vision of the future in business and numismatics.

I have possibly the rarest Btitish Roman Imperial bronze sestertius - HADRIAN BRITANICUS - we could only trace the provenance to 1980 Leu sale. Yves remembered seeing the photograph in the 1906 Sarti sale in Rome Cat. The Hadrian came from the Bolsena Hoard in the 1890's. Amazing discovery. It was on display for several years at the British Museum.

r
    Geoffrey

Petition Crown
  • BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was under the impression from long ago that there was a 'Bank Leu' in Switzerland and that it simply had a 'department' for coin sales. I seem to remember it issued very great, well illustrated catalogs, but maybe I am thinking of somebody else.

I don't find Wikipedia to be the ultimate source, but it sure is quick and easy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bank_Leu

Whether rights need to be secured before using a name, who knows?

Bill your impression is correct Bank Leu in Switzerland was the possibly most famous bank in Switzerland and the oldest, it was then merged with Claridon and became Claridon/Leu the Credit Suisse who owned Claridon then took over Leu as well. The single amazing banking hall in of the former Leu building has just been sold I understand for 400m +CHF. Switzerland is a country were such changes are done correctly. As I say Yves is following the tradition of the former Leu.

r
    Geoffrey

Petition Crown

Thanks for the email info - i checked the whole catalouge of the public/floor auction will be published on Leu web site. Looking already at some of the ancient coins the cat. will fab and I would register to get the cat.

Please can you pass on to other Ancient Coin collectors all the information. I understand that the numbers of collectors are amaizing large in numbers in the USA and I am not in touch with them.

A dupondius that I aquired - story to follow later, but found in this condition near perfect in a lump of clay in the Tiber in Rome - just as the day it was struck

Regards
    Geoffrey

Petition Crown

The Swiss have a very very great numismatic tradition.

If a piece of clay kept that brass coin in that condition for almost 2000 years, I might like to have the clay for coin storage.

Bill that is an amazing response - what a great idea for preservation. You have incredible creativity. I am preparing survey questions to understand the difference of the USA to the European on collecting habits of Roman Imperial coinage.

I hope that the members of the FORUM will contribute to my understanding of what a great marketing creativity in the USA

Bill are there other FORUMS that specialize or have Ancient coins as discussion groups?

Regards
    Geoffrey

Petition Crown
    edited July 31, 2017 4:32AM

You should ask that question to the group as a whole, my collecting interests are mostly later in time. However, I did have a relatively solid education in Roman History from Sulla to Diocletian. FWIW, I did see that former display of Hadrian items at the British Museum and I have some copies of that blue postcard.

WoW u r an academic - we prepared 100'000 post cards to give to all those that were interested, we aimed at interesting children as well as adultts.

Great you got a few - strange I have maybe 3 or 4 left of the post cards

Thanks - are there other FORUMS i should look at for ancients? who would have a list of collectors? ANA or ANS or more? I had an exhibition of British coins at the ANA for a few years.

My web site is old and needs updating if you wish to see what I collect it an antique site with prepared a long time ago

www.petitioncrown.com

Regards

Geoffrey - allways need directional guidence in the USA so different from the European thinking

Petition Crown
  • SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@petitioncrown said:
    Thanks for the email info - i checked the whole catalouge of the public/floor auction will be published on Leu web site. Looking already at some of the ancient coins the cat. will fab and I would register to get the cat.

Do you happen to know when the catalog will be published? I'd definitely like to take a look as well!

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection

Hi - answer r

Catalogue will be sent to registered customers 14th of September 2017
    Geoffreyequested

Petition Crown

What is a Natural Untouched Roman Bronzes (lightly brushed only of earth)
    A masterpiece of ancient Imperial Rome in the form of a Nero Sestertius as discovered after nearly 2’000 years after striking.
    This coin was struck on a massive flan.

Petition Crown