Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1970 S Small Date???

Is this the 1970 S Small Date? It's in crappy shape so not valuable either way but the 7 is high up and TY is less defined. Just wondering.

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but looks like a Large Date to me.

• Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Small date will look like this

• Options

My 7 is exactly even if not higher than the 1and 0. I don't get it. It's definitely even. I'll take another pic. It seems like it is the small. Also the TY was more faint in Liberty and 9 was more squared and didn't point to top of S it pointed with a curve at 7. Idk.

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 9 doesn't curve back towards the 7 and liberty isn't soft. Its a large date. :|

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1Mike1 said:
    The 9 doesn't curve back towards the 7 and liberty isn't soft. Its a large date. :|

Best explanation.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

For the record, there probably isn't one of us here who didn't agonize over circulation finds of 1970-S's hoping for the elusive small date at one point or another. That being said, yours is a large date. Once you see a small date in hand there is little doubt.

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just look at the shape of the 9. That's the quick easy way. The Op coin is a large date.

Larry

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Large Date. 9 is higher than the 1. The wear pattern is what is throwing you off.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always regretted not putting up a couple of rolls of these back in the late 70's, early 80's. They were only a couple of bucks a piece. Probably a similar situation to the 55's in the late 50's......

• Options

Ok. Well I have seen Wexlers examples of 2 versions of small abd large. There's corrosion a bit on the obverse at 9 so it maybe doesn't translate. I'm going to compare my 1970 S large to this one. I've never heard the 9 higher than one. But thst 1,7,0 are even height not a lower 7. Also the 9 I'm this one is more squared and my others is curves more downward. Lastly the Wexlers I believe it was I'll post too shows small date isn't necessarily completely faded and it can't be bold. It showed a small datw version whete Liberry is bold not as much as large and the TY was less bold aND Y was thin. I'll post the pic when I get home. Give me some time to get up everything I'm at work . Thanks guys.

• Options
    CommemKingCommemKing Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

why don't you just go to a coin shop and buy a small date for reference? They are very cheap.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lemonade from lemons & nice to get a 1970 mint set with small date AND a decent 1970 D half!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's cool that you question this and research the heck out of it. No better way to learn.

Larry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file