Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Looking for info on these Swiss minted Le lockle Apollo 11 silver commemorative coins

Wasn't sure where to post this since they're minted in switzerland but commemorate something from the US.

I have 10 of these Swiss made Le Locle Apollo 11 coins. I have seen many like it but not one was exactly like mine. Has anyone ever seen this coin before? I remember finding some info describing a coin like mine that said there were 2000 minted in 1969 but there were no pictures and it wasn't any kind of official website regarding coins.

Comments

• Options
    BillDugan1959BillDugan1959 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 9:56AM

It appears to be a privately issued souvenir medal, not the official coinage of some sovereign nation or political entity.

The distinction between 'medal' and 'coin' is important because you won't find it in a "coin" catalog unless it has a stated denomination or somehow "fits" into the monetary system of some recognized political unit.

There may be a book about space-related coins and medals, but you should keep that envelope! It is about the only provenance you may ever have.

http://www.huguenin.ch/en/about-us/history

Possibly contains a photo of the press used to strike your medal?