Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unusual Jim Catfish Hunter 1969 Topps printing error

PlanemonkeyPlanemonkey Posts: 543 ✭✭

I'm waiting to get this card in the mail, but it seems to have a very unique hairstyle in the photo.

Comments

• Options
    initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Hmmm strange....eyebrow is different too. Keen eye, cool!

• Options

Card came today. I scanned it next to another 69 for comparison.

• Options
    packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

looks like someone was insulted that his hair wasn't dark black at such a young age and colored it in lol

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

The building in the background looks much darker as well....I can't figure out how he no longer has a flat top though....

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

I think you've found something pretty special. The black ink seems to have diffused across the printing blanket or something. Really crazy.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 3:42PM

@Planemonkey said:
    Card came today. I scanned it next to another 69 for comparison.

I think it is just a darker version of the card and possibly some ink bleed. There are some really dark ones out there but yours is the only I've seen with a full bleed like that. Just look at all the black coloring and darker shading in this version and your bleed one compared to the sharp print quality version.

• Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool that you noticed this. I wonder how many others are out there? Agree that it looks like the black ink was a little to heavy and had some bleeding.

• Options

10 years of seeing 69 Topps Hunters in ebay searches and this card jumped out at me as soon as I saw it. Thanks Dean's cards

• Options
    49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭
    edited August 4, 2017 8:41PM

Just as unique, a compliment for Dean's cards.

• Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    edited August 5, 2017 7:55AM

Here is a similar print flaw from another year. Black ink smeared for some reason. I think they are especially interesting if they are recurring, even in small numbers

One more , less pronounced

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had to dig back through my phone's photos to find this, but I was building several 1980 sets recently, and came across multiple cards with extra black in on the face, eyebrows, and hair, as well as excessive yellowish ink in the background. The "normal" card is in the middle, and the 2 with the most profound print defects are on either side. None of these cards were used in my sets, and unsure of their location currently, or if I even still own them. I just happened at the time to snap a photo and engage a friend of mine in a discussion about how common this defect is. It is a coincidence that this thread would also bring this to attention.