Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Anyone ever witness a legit fight or other violent activity over a sports card?

Closest thing I've seen was two kids fighting in front of our table at a sports card show my dad and I were dealing at back in 1990. One obvious antagonist (who earlier in the day asked me why I wanted to "buy that pack, it's already opened" from his table) and one innocent victim.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Ask OJ when he gets out on parole. I bet he has.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • BeRoyalKCBeRoyalKC Posts: 413 ✭✭

I can tell you a story about 2 grown men sprinting thru a Walmart when they opened the doors then fighting back in the mid 90's looking for Hot Wheels.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

Not a legit fight, but this does bring to mind a story from my childhood.

My first "job" was working with a local card dealer. This all took place in Traders Village in Grand Prairie , Tx. (for anybody who might remember that place in the 80's. Is it still there I wonder?)

Remember when Pacific (I think it was) brought out the Nolan Ryan cards. They had silver and gold cards that were a tad thicker than the normal cards on the name end. They were hotter than hot in Texas. Anyways, a couple came up to our table with a caliper (I didn't know what it was then, I just knew they were measuring ) measuring the thickness of the packs. So me being the snot nosed kid kinda nudged Robby (card shop owner) and whispered that these folks are measuring packs out of your box. Robby talked to them, not sure what was said exactly. I just remember a bit of talking, then screaming. People running booths around us splitting them up. It was kinda exciting for a bit.

I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 29, 2017 10:58AM

When i was roughly 14-15yrs old, my friends and I used to play the card game War while gambling with some of our better rookie cards at the time and I can remember quite a few times it almost came down to actually throwing punches. 1987 rookies of Canseco,Mcgwire & Bo and 89 Griffey rookies were always the "big" bets and it got pretty ugly when someone lost one lol. I was lucky that most of my friends didn't collect basketball so i never ended up losing any early Fleer Jordans.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

See here...

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/11756635#Comment_11756635

People fighting over judge cards hiding them from others very childish

• BillyKingsleyBillyKingsley Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭✭

Actual fistfights? No...but a friend stopped talking to me for several years after I refused to trade him my 1995-96 Stadium Club Beam Team Grant Hill. A different person I've never met in person but had become friends with blocked me on Facebook because I wouldn't sell him a card a couple years ago.

Billy Kingsley ANA R-3146356 Cardboard History // Numismatic History
  • IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

It wasn't a fight per se, but about 20 years ago I was at a card show and a dealer and customer were having a loud argument whether or not Jeff King was a common or not

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.