Home Sports Talk
Options

Max Scherzer

orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just curious on everyone's thoughts on Max Scherzer and future hall of fame chances. He is 33 years old, 136-74 record and a 3.30 career era. 5 all star appearances, 2 Cy Young awards (5th 2 other years), 2 20 win seasons, led the league in wins 3 times, great strikeout numbers 9 straight seasons. He is also most likely on his way to a 3rd Cy Young award with Kershaw's injury. With his age he doesn't have a shot at 300 wins or any milestones like that, but I would think his overall stats and dominance could put him in if he has a few more dominant years after this one. Also just always loved watching his pitch with his intensity. Your thoughts?

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Comments

• Options
    dbtunrdbtunr Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

unless he gets to 200 wins at least, I see no chance.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure put him in, the HOF is a watered down mess anyways

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

If he has a few more seasons like this year, then maybe HOFer.

As of now he sits at 1,800 innings and an ERA+ of 126

I think the 'benchmark' right now would be someone like Curt Schilling who has 3,200 innings an an ERA+ of 126...plus Schilling has a lot of hardware and fame to his name.

Schilling will eventually get in.

For comparison, Kershaw has 1,900 innings and an ERA+ of 162.

So the jury is still out on Scherzer. He will need a few more seasons like he is having this year, and then a few more decent seasons on top of that.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scherzer, as of this moment, actually sits at a 127.

For some perspective, among guys with 200+ career starts in the live ball era, an ERA+ of 127 puts you in a tie for 16th all-time.

Clayton Kershaw, with his 162 ERA+, is #1.

If we go back to 1901, you need a 131 ERA+ to get into the top 20 but...Clayton Kershaw is still #1.

That's a long, roundabout way of saying that Scherzer is putting up all-time great #s with his ERA+ of 127.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Zack Grienke, like Scherzer, should be a viable candidate if he has a few more good seasons

• Options

@dbtunr said:
    unless he gets to 200 wins at least, I see no chance.

Using wins as a benchmark for a pitcher is a horrible idea with the managers consistently keeping them on Little League pitch counts in our current era of the game

• Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭

If I get a vote, yes. Hated to see him leave Detroit.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    Zack Grienke, like Scherzer, should be a viable candidate if he has a few more good seasons

Agree

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......