Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Time for a crack and resub?

ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Just got this back from PSA. I pulled this from a pack last fall. The upper and left edges have a little rough cut to them. I was thinking it was not going to hurt the card, much like the OPC and old Topps that do the same. No wrinkles. Good centering, not perfect. No PDs (note there was some dust picked up with my scan). the bottom right corner has a small tag left over from the factory cut. This is not a 10, but it looks as good as my 9 that I already had. Just a bit baffled...Could the edges do this much to the grade?

Comments

• OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Does the hologram on back have any little scratches on it

• 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

How that gets a 5 is beyond me.

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nothing like a 5. I would give it another try for sure. Another grader may certainly see it a lot different. I would not be surprised if it you resub and it comes back an 8 or 9. Good luck.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

My only thought is they found a wrinkle you didn't. If no wrinkle I don't understand the grade.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • initialDinitialD Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭

Looks like the top edge of the rough cut shows the cut line (slices) that was missed. Probably affected the surface grade

• There must be a small crease we can't see.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

I know your emotionally and financially invested in this but if you step back and look at this while the card looks much nicer than a 5 what are the chances psa made a big mistake. 5% or less? Just guessing. So the overwhelming favorite in this is that they found a flaw or flaws that are hard to spot. So do you want to keep throwing money at this one when it may never move off of a 5? That is just how I look at it

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I had one like this come back a 6, thought it was a 10. Went back and looked all over it and found a small surface wrinkle on the back no bigger than 1/8 of an inch. They are easy to miss especially in the marbelized brown background where the wording is

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Thanks guys. I do appreciate the feedback and will be cracking this open. I may have missed a small crease and if that is the case, this card can go into my 89 UD raw set. It would be very pretty eye candy for a raw set. If not, I will resub it and take a chance. I don't mind spend another $7 or so for a shot at another 9. When I crack, I will post what I find. Thanks!

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    Does the hologram on back have any little scratches on it

This is what usually knocks down an otherwise beautiful looking #1 Griffey.

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • sinoth23sinoth23 Posts: 152 ✭✭

At first glance, it looks great. Good luck with the re-grade.

Secondly, you brought up something I've wondered in the past - how do they regard those "corner tags?" Do they look at it in the same way as chipping? thanks

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

likely a crease somewhere on the surface you did not see, has happened to me in the past

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,562 ✭✭✭✭

As stated already, the hologram is often the culprit. Take a close look at it. Might be a teeny wrinkle.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I appreciate all of the recommendations. I will take a look and see what I can find and will definitely report back on this.