Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

91-92 upper deck basketball

momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

seems like this set is a very common set without much value. is it becuase of a lack of rookie star power or because it was so readily aviable?

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a horrible year for rookie cards with just Larry Johnson,Dikembe Mutombo & Kenny Anderson as the best rookies.

• Options
    byronscott4everbyronscott4ever Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

They made a ton of it too

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Very little in terms of rookies, no hard to get inserts and overprinted like everything else was.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options

It was hot when it came out. The LJ and Mutombo were both over $10 back in the day.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

it is an absolutely dreadful set. The Larry Johnson was once desired along with the Mutombo
    Once Johnson got hurt that was then end of that and who is worth anything that is basically a shot blocker?

After that your looking at rookies like John Starks Steve Smith Stacy Augmon Kenny Anderson Billy Owens as the best you will find wow!

Also I cant imagine how many were printed but it has to be astronomical

The only positive is the 2 Jordan Hologram Inserts which are no big deal. I also think the design is nice. At least I found something nice to say about it

• Options
    tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@Albertdidit said:
    it is an absolutely dreadful set. The Larry Johnson was once desired along with the Mutombo
    Once Johnson got hurt that was then end of that and who is worth anything that is basically a shot blocker?

After that your looking at rookies like John Starks Steve Smith Stacy Augmon Kenny Anderson Billy Owens as the best you will find wow!

Also I cant imagine how many were printed but it has to be astronomical

The only positive is the 2 Jordan Hologram Inserts which are no big deal. I also think the design is nice. At least I found something nice to say about it

Yep, it's got Jordan's and that isn't bad...the rest....not so good..

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked the design. Just too much made

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    sdsalezmansdsalezman Posts: 78 ✭✭

The Jerry West Autograph Card in pretty cool and tough to pull based on the production numbers even with it be numbered to 2500.

• Options
    saucywombatsaucywombat Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭

Design was good.

Upper Deck had good quality production across all sports in those years but an obscene amount was made.

They were filling 18 wheelers filling every Wal Mart and gas station in America.

When is the last time you saw a pack of cards at a gas station by the way?

Always looking for 1993-1999 Baseball Finest Refractors and1994 Football Finest Refractors.
    saucywombat@hotmail.com
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2017 9:34AM

@saucywombat I agree. At the time I was in high school with an after school job at a local super market and they had huge displays of UD baseball & basketball during those first couple seasons. To this day I've never seen trading cards sold in any other super market since then.
    I know this is 92-93 but this has always been one of my favorite MJ card images.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    @saucywombat I agree. At the time I was in high school with an after school job at a local super market and they had huge displays of UD baseball & basketball during those first couple seasons. To this day I've never seen trading cards sold in any other super market since then.
    I know this is 92-93 but this has always been one of my favorite MJ card images.

Sounds like we are pretty close to the same age. I worked in a Winn-Dixie in HS and partly through college. That store had cards through at least 1996, but I got out around then and can't be sure when grocery stores around here stopped having cards. All Winn-Dixie and Albertson stores sold cards in that time period, can't remember if Publix did or not. We caught one of our buddies behind the service counter at Albertsons searching for inserts in 1994 or early 95. It was a funny story because he presented himself as a real religious, upstanding guy and even worked at a card shop.

I actively collect Kirby Puckett. I have collections of Michael Jordan, Emmitt Smith, Roberto Clemente, Dwight Gooden, Tom Seaver, Errict Rhett and Evan Longoria.

• Options

I probably spent at least half of my weekly paycheck every week buying up their UD packs. It also helped i was usually there in store when they'd open up fresh boxes for sale and i scooped up a ton of packs.