Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

PCGS - Please Explain - Why Aren't Registry Set Updates Automated?

Long winded problem...

I just finished submitting individual, singleton requests to PCGS to get them to add 11 2017 quarters to the Washington Quarters with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1932-Present) set. That is one set. I have 11 more sets (not including the 5 ounce quarters) that will need these same changes applied (if someone else hasn't individually asked for those changes).

Do I really need to make 121 individual requests to get PCGS to properly maintain these sets? All of these additions are present in the population and price databases, so they aren't unknown to PCGS.

I'm hoping to get enough interest from the board to make a change in the way registry sets are maintained - a more active role, rather than the current re-active role.

Comments

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I currently own both the 2017-P & D MS68FB Roosevelt dimes. Neither coin is available to fit in any registry set at this time. Over the years I always wondered why when a new coin is graded, that the computer that upgrades the pop report doesn't automatically update the current registry sets for said coin. It used to be added as an additional coin at the bottom of a set and was in red with an asterisk to point out that it was not required as of yet. That is to allow sets to compete equally, which is fine, but it has got to a point where they don't even do that.

I own the coins, and I've become used to waiting for the updates, so I don't ever complain because I know eventually they will add them, but I would like to see changes being made to address this issue. Every year someone asks when we can add them. Never fails.

Later, Paul.
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted the request for the 2017 P&D nickels in all of the sets I have. If you do not request them, they will get added prior to being required.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

The same thing with varieties, you gotta request them to be added to a Type Set individually. It takes a couple of days at most, but it gets added.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...