UPDATED: Favorite/recommended coin shops in Philly area?
DBSTrader2
Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭✭
Any members have recommendations for small-time raw (vs slab/cert) collectors? Ideally ones that still have old folders, junk boxes, quantities/bags of "melt" silver, etc like the ones that I remember from the old days?
More decades ago than I care to admit, there were local stores I could frequent, like the one in the BAZAAR in Clifton Heights, a few on Smelter's Row in Philly, one on Chestnut St in mid-town Philly (which I believe is still there, but I don't venture down to anymore), Hen's Coins in Lansdale (now closed), and maybe 1 or 2 at the flea markets in Quakertown & Rice's Market. There's also a book/newspaper/photo/magazine/etc warehouse off the main road in Landsale that carries some coins. If lucky, the giant flea markets at DCCC or the one held by Penn State near Lima, PA would have a table with coins (usually overpriced). And I believe there's still a coin store (Edelman's?) off 611 in Jenkintown as well.
Unfortunately, the local monthly Ft. Washington coin show had fewer & fewer tables for people with my interests before they moved out to Williamson's & then out of the area entirely.
So I'm bored and have limited ability to drive long distances, and pining for somewhere new to check out.
Does anyone know of any other local hidden gems somewhere that they'd suggest I check out? Maybe some non-coin-shop places I might not otherwise think of?
Thanks in advance!
Comments
Edelman's in Jenkinstown, PA
The store on Chestnut St in mid-town Philly moved quite a few years ago over the river to Collingwood, NJ. I think it's still there, not sure. As for the Landsale store, I'm guessing you mean the Archive. There are a few coins there, but it's not their main emphasis at all.
Thanks, Ernie! I thought I heard somewhere that the Philly store had moved, and you are right about the name of the place in Lansdale & its emphasis on mostly non-coins, which is why they seem to be a bit over-priced on what they have. Short of making the trip over the bridge to Jersey, any other places you might recommend I check out?