Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Shipping fee question (over charged)

Just a quick question on what you think.

I made a purchase of about 52 raw/ungraded cards. The first card was $3.50 shipping while the additional cards are $0.50. The total shipping ended up being $19.50.

So basically I am looking at paying $20 to ship 52 raw cards. Now I have bought from this dealer in the past and the cards are generally shipped in penny sleeves sandwiched by 2 top loaders. So we are not talking about shipping 52 cards in top loaders.

I cannot see shipping ever costing more than $7 for this.

What are your thoughts on this? I sent a message requesting a decrease in the cost but I got no response back. If the package comes in and I see the shipping cost was far less should I request a refund for the difference in shipping cost? Or should I just eat it and stop buying from this dealer?

Comments

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

For 52 cards, shipping should be $29, I believe. So, he may already be discounting it. But it still seems overcharging for shipping. Do these happen to be inexpensive cards that really aren't worth selling one at a time? Maybe the 50 cents is a charge to make it worth his time.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a board game collector, I have a little different perspective.

I'm used to paying 12 to 20 bucks for a game costing 20 bucks due to size.

If that's all the discount the seller if offering?

Accept it, since it was stated, and never buy from them again.

I agree with Don - handling cards - if small in value - can be cost ineffective.

Mike
  • 49ersGuy49ersGuy Posts: 382 ✭✭

my mistake. it is $0.25 per card after the first card. $0.50 was to Canada.

So technically it should be $16.25

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the shipping terms were clearly stated in the auctions, you don't really have a legitimate gripe, imo. Like Mike said, I would just avoid buying cards from that seller in the future if you feel the shipping prices are exorbitant.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

you guys are definitely correct. I definitely knew going into bidding what the shipping costs were and would never try to bail out of a transaction but maybe it's best just to steer clear of the seller. I have to admit it is a bit of a pet peeve of mine to know someone is overcharging me for shipping. It has nothing to do with money. It's all about that feeling of being taken advantage of.

The real shame of this is that a seller should realize what happens when you lose someone that frequently bids on the auctions you have up. Not only do you lose the money that the buyer bid up the card but you also lose the money from the cards that that the buyer bid up and lost. I won 52 cards but bid on and lost another 30 or so. Each of those cards would of went for much less had I not tried to win the card.

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with you 49ersguy. I wouldn't like it either even if I knew going in that shipping was going to add up quickly.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

I do agree with you. There should be a maximum cost for shipping, say up to $10, instead of charging you for every additional card won for raw cards, as USPS priority small flat rate box is about $7.25 to ship.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2017 11:29PM

Paying for his time and supplies. No problems here.

• dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

@49ersGuy said:

If he is trying to charge you 19.50 when the agreed upon amount is 16.25 I would have a problem with that. I would try another nicely worded message to the seller letting him/her know they were charging more than the amount listed in the auction.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • SmithAuctionCoSmithAuctionCo Posts: 160 ✭✭✭

If a shipping charge is clearly stated in a listing, then bid accordingly. If you want to spend $50 on an item and the shipping is stated as $10, then bid $40. The shipping cost charged by the seller and the actual cost of shipping should not be the buyer's concern.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

A good seller will work with you. Meet him halfway and be professional about it. Do not whine and complain in your proposal. You will be better off. In the future, msg the seller prior to buying and propose shipping terms that make sense.

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

The cost of shipping should definitely be $16.25. > @dennis07 said:

@49ersGuy said:

If he is trying to charge you 19.50 when the agreed upon amount is 16.25 I would have a problem with that. I would try another nicely worded message to the seller letting him/her know they were charging more than the amount listed in the auction.

Yep, definitely get that fixed first, sometimes the sellers can't always add either and eBay doesn't have the best system for calculating when adding additional items, I know for me it's manual when I would sell cards as it was a different rule than the rest of my stuff. One thing to think about, the 25 cents the seller is charging (which I think is a very fair rate), is what his fees are for this sale, remember he has now 50 sales, so he has fees to cover for 50 sales. Some sellers increase the rate of the item to cover, others make them as cheap as possible and give the buyer the info up front.

Now I don't know the costs of the sales, but say each card was $1, he has to pay around 10 cents for each sale and then on top of that, they will zing him with the cost of the shipping fee too, another 10%. If you got a great deal, then the extra cost for shipping just helps keep this seller up and running and he can offer great deals on cards. Just my humble opinion as being a smaller seller on FeeBay :)

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

I am strictly a buyer on eBay. Recently I bought a few card from seller that charged $3 per card to ship. Since the listing did not say he combined shipping I asked him in advance if he would do so if I bought a a certain group of cards. He decided he would based on the cards I was buying. If the listing is clear the decision to buy or not buy due to shipping costs is the buyer's responsibility, and any negotiations about shipping should be in advance of purchase. Just my view.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The best is when a buyer like the OP won't wait for a seller to combine an invoice, or just pays for each item individually as they're buying. This causes the seller to pay 52 separate PayPal transaction fees at 30 cents each. Then when he's all done he contacts the seller wanting them to adjust the shipping charge down to an amount the buyer feels is fair, with 52 negative or neutral feedbacks ready to fire off if the seller doesn't give him what he wants.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

My thoughts.....you paid too much for shipping, BUT, you knew the price before hand.

I always like to use analogies, so here goes. If you go into a restaurant and order a steak for $15.99 and it states 6 oz, then you get it and its 6 oz, but you feel it is a little small, you can complain of course, but you got what was advertised on the menu.

Bottom line is, unfortunately, selling small value cards is a losing proposition for many people. Paying the extra shipping may not "feel" right, but without things like that, the cards may not have been available in the first place due to the seller not making the effort to sell.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • I can not figure out why the hell sellers just can't say free shipping ? Can someone please explain why the hell they don't do that ?

• tbonewillytbonewilly Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

@basketballcollector said:
    I can not figure out why the hell sellers just can't say free shipping ? Can someone please explain why the hell they don't do that ?

Shipping costs...If I'm trying to sell a pair of $1 card, would you rather pay $1 for the card plus $3.50 shipping and then hopefully like a quarter more for the second, or would you rather have free shipping, which means I have to put a price tag of $4.50 on each card. $9 for the pair or $5.75. Which looks like the better deal? If buying just one card, same price, buying more, better to pay extra shipping costs..In order to get credit for shipping discounts in eBay, item has to ship with tracking number, so at the cheapest that is $2.61 with discounts...Can't send in PWE because I would get someone complain they didn't receive, with no tracking number, I lose. There's the option of best offer pricing too, which I use quite often, but again, you can't sell an item for less than the cost of shipping, you wouldn't believe how many people get upset with me saying why can't I take $3 for an item (free shipping), after Feebay and TakeMyPaypal Money, I ended up having to pay someone to buy it, normally not a good way of making a living :)

Now, for more expensive items, it's easier to do free shipping, but I figure that costs into the price, on high cost items, it doesn't look as bad, but it's added into the price if the item is heavy and will cost quite a bit to ship..

Ken - Volunteered to work in Florida Keys, now freezing in Ohio
    Work in progress - Unopened Racks/Cello/Wax with star power for Baseball, Football and Basketball
    Collecting unopened 80's boxes and graded packs
    I may be hoarding too much 80's junk wax but I like it!
  • MintacularMintacular Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭

It's possible that your 52 card purchase bumped the value of the lot into the "insurance needed" zone, thus the seller will need to buy $5-$10 in insurance or risk getting an item not received case. He/She then may feel like eating the costs and that you should. Since He/She cannot force you to purchase insurance this is how they are recouping that cost. I can see it both ways.

edited July 19, 2017 1:42PM

I can not figure out why the hell sellers just can't say free shipping ? Can someone please explain why the hell they don't do that ?

Because the seller has to pay for the shipping if the buyer doesnt and for raw cards where the profit margin is thin to begin with those costs cannot be absorbed if the seller doesn't want to give the cards away.

I would have to guess that the most profitable sellers of junk commons are doing just that. The $19.50 guy's plan is perfectly fine when you're dealing with the kind of orders it's likely to be designed for of maybe a half dozen cards or less. At larger quantities continued compounding becomes a little impractical, but a quick message to the seller inquiring about their shipping charge for larger quantities will clear things up. It's important to do this before clicking 52 BIN buttons.

A free shipping alternative to the 52 card deal would be the seller who starts at PWE and then adjusts his shipping method based on quantity. To offer free shipping he will jack the price up of each card by 50 cents. A guy gobbles up 52 cards, is happy as can be because it says free shipping, but in reality be just paid the guy an extra $26 in shipping.

More Ebay buyers probably like to participate in the free shipping plans over those capable or wanting to compare the total price delivered for the same group of cards from two different sellers, one with free shipping and one with his shipping charges clearly listed for everyone to read before buying. Some sellers will cap it at some point, some sellers like the $19.50 will also have a cap if you simply ask. Better deals will almost always be had with guys who charge a set amount and cap if you're buying multiple cards. If you're only buying one or two the free shipping guys will usually be better.

edited July 19, 2017 6:02PM

@KbKards said:
    The best is when a buyer like the OP won't wait for a seller to combine an invoice, or just pays for each item individually as they're buying. This causes the seller to pay 52 separate PayPal transaction fees at 30 cents each. Then when he's all done he contacts the seller wanting them to adjust the shipping charge down to an amount the buyer feels is fair, with 52 negative or neutral feedbacks ready to fire off if the seller doesn't give him what he wants.

I did wait. I am not sure where you got the idea that i did not wait because I never said as much. I always wait. Additionally, I never threatened in anyway. I simply asked if the shipping charges could be capped at some point. This is a seller I have frequently bought with and generally buy 40+ cards at a time. I felt it was well within my right to simply ask whether the shipping costs could be adjust as I felt they were unrealistic. $16.25 for 40 raw cards is VERY unrealistic. As Grote mentioned, all post offices cary the small priority packages and offer $7.50 to ship. I am paying $10 more. I never once made any demand to the seller. I never once made any claims of never buying from him again. I simply asked a basic question to which I was advised that he will not. I paid and moved on.

If you want to paint a picture of a person you should probably get the facts first before you decide to apply your own personal opinion. There is far too much ignorance in the world already.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bishop said:
    I am strictly a buyer on eBay. Recently I bought a few card from seller that charged $3 per card to ship. Since the listing did not say he combined shipping I asked him in advance if he would do so if I bought a a certain group of cards. He decided he would based on the cards I was buying. If the listing is clear the decision to buy or not buy due to shipping costs is the buyer's responsibility, and any negotiations about shipping should be in advance of purchase. Just my view.

This sums it up perfectly IMO.

Mike
  • HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

@49ersGuy said:

@KbKards said:

I did wait. I am not sure where you got the idea that i did not wait because I never said as much. I always wait. Additionally, I never threatened in anyway. I simply asked if the shipping charges could be capped at some point. This is a seller I have frequently bought with and generally buy 40+ cards at a time. I felt it was well within my right to simply ask whether the shipping costs could be adjust as I felt they were unrealistic. $16.25 for 40 raw cards is VERY unrealistic. As Grote mentioned, all post offices cary the small priority packages and offer $7.50 to ship. I am paying $10 more. I never once made any demand to the seller. I never once made any claims of never buying from him again. I simply asked a basic question to which I was advised that he will not. I paid and moved on.

If you want to paint a picture of a person you should probably get the facts first before you decide to apply your own personal opinion. There is far too much ignorance in the world already.

It is sarcasm from a seller's point of view...a joke

my sarcasm meter must not of been working. I totally bought it! Apologies for being a bit crass.

edited July 20, 2017 8:06AM

My first post which got you upset was not about your situation. It's just another example of a non-ideal transaction that sellers have to deal with and how there are sometimes other costs that buyer's aren't aware of. It was also to point out the unfairness of negotiating a seller's clearly listed shipping terms after the sale and not before.

This is a seller I have frequently bought with and generally buy 40+ cards at a time. I felt it was well within my right to simply ask whether the shipping costs could be adjust as I felt they were unrealistic.

When did you ask the seller this question? You said you frequently bought from him. There are other places to buy those cards, so why did you choose him when you made your first purchase? I'm assuming you looked at other options and figured the overall price you were paying for your 40+ card purchases was acceptable. You were happy with your first order so you frequently made additional 40+ card purchases from him. So after how many frequent purchases did you decide to pop the question? And now, based on the amount listed on the postage label, which I'm sure will be consistent with all of your other frequent purchases, you ask our opinion on, "Or should I just eat it and stop buying from this dealer?"

My opinion.
    If the total cost delivered for the same 52 cards is cheaper elsewhere then buy them elsewhere. If they are cheaper with this seller then continue buying from this seller and just try to concentrate on the final price you paid being lower than the other places. If you want a better deal then contact him directly through one of the invoices pulled from your frequent purchases to see if he also sells the same stuff off Ebay at a lower price.

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I dont either, after all, arent sellers on ebay to help build my collection? The way they charge me to ship an item, you would think they were trying to make a few dollars

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY

@KbKards said:
    My first post which got you upset was not about your situation. It's just another example of a non-ideal transaction that sellers have to deal with and how there are sometimes other costs that buyer's aren't aware of. It was also to point out the unfairness of negotiating a seller's clearly listed shipping terms after the sale and not before.

This is a seller I have frequently bought with and generally buy 40+ cards at a time. I felt it was well within my right to simply ask whether the shipping costs could be adjust as I felt they were unrealistic.

When did you ask the seller this question? You said you frequently bought from him. There are other places to buy those cards, so why did you choose him when you made your first purchase? I'm assuming you looked at other options and figured the overall price you were paying for your 40+ card purchases was acceptable. You were happy with your first order so you frequently made additional 40+ card purchases from him. So after how many frequent purchases did you decide to pop the question? And now, based on the amount listed on the postage label, which I'm sure will be consistent with all of your other frequent purchases, you ask our opinion on, "Or should I just eat it and stop buying from this dealer?"

My opinion.
    If the total cost delivered for the same 52 cards is cheaper elsewhere then buy them elsewhere. If they are cheaper with this seller then continue buying from this seller and just try to concentrate on the final price you paid being lower than the other places. If you want a better deal then contact him directly through one of the invoices pulled from your frequent purchases to see if he also sells the same stuff off Ebay at a lower price.

My apologies. I rarely ever take anything personal (internet of not) but misread what you stated and expressed myself (albeit incorrectly).

I tend to consider the cost that sellers have and out of nearly 1,000 transactions this is pretty much the first where I mentioned it at the same time I requested the combo shipping. I generally would do this in advance of purchase but figured since I was a regular buyer from the seller that he might consider the request. As far as materials he uses penny sleeves sandwiched by two top loaders in pretty generic packaging. The last couple of times I bought from him I noticed the cost of shipping when it was delivered was much less than what was paid. It was just a bit of a pet peeve i guess. I think the main issue I encounter is that I have other sellers I buy from regularly who sell similar cards but each of the others either caps their shipping. I've bought similar amounts of cards from those other sellers and it is never more than $8. So I am sure you understand my questioning it from that perspective alone. I'm not saying I am in the right or wrong....but I think anyone might question this on this basis alone.

Your opinion is well noted.