Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The Official I can't afford 2017 Allen & Ginter Thread

Creeping upwards to 120 a box already. Judge mania is in full swing. Autographs look short printed this year. Rip cards look to be two per case. Hot boxes were added this year and no one knows what that means. Release in a few days, where are the ginter warriors at?
-Waalt

Comments

• Options
    BunchOBullBunchOBull Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭

Frank's in it, but I'm not doing it this year. If any of the high-end Franks hit at decent prices, I may grab them, but otherwise, I'm still missing too many from 2016 and 2013 to jump into the fire again.

Sadly, Frank shares a double rip with Griffey which means I'll likely never drop the coin for that one.

Collector of most things Frank Thomas. www.BigHurtHOF.com
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

The card store I go to is at 138 a box. I never do the set but in years past I would buy a box,

• Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

Another win for Retail in 2017

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys think that the excitement over players like Judge has affected the retail market of cards?

Mike
  • Options
    ThoseBackPagesThoseBackPages Posts: 4,871 ✭✭

@Stone193 said:
    Do you guys think that the excitement over players like Judge has affected the retail market of cards?

1000% has. REALLY difficult to find the good blasters on store shelves, around most of the nation

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

Its hard to believe I haven't done Ginter in almost 10 years. I still have 2008 and 2009 to finish off. Mini's mostly.

As far as retail Judge has most certainly affected retail. People are buying up the $19.99 blasters and selling them for double on ebay. I was lucky enough to get some Archives blasters from Amazon for $19.99. Now the seller is asking $39.99 for the same boxes. Looks like Bowman Platinum and Ginter are going the same route.

• Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

Yes the young players like Judge are driving the new products for sure.

• Options
    WaltWalt Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Walt checking in here. For 11 years I have bought multiple cases of ginter. Sometimes as many as 4. Much of my pc is ginter. Two years in a row I pulled rare Ryan Howard cards (my favorite player), numbered to his jersey number, in the same parking lot, but this year was different. My local dealer who I relied on for years is retired and his replacement only ordered one case total. I bought 4 boxes for the price of what I would get 6 for the last few years. I pulled a total of zero autographs.

IMO don't hurt yourself trying to buy this stuff. Topps ran out of baseball autographs and put in a bunch of crap.

I did pull a Frank Thomas rc...lol

If anyone is looking for anything let me know. I might be done with 17.

• Options

Sell me the Unripped cards if you get them. Especially the lower #'d one's.

Abandon All Hope-Ye Who Enters Here...Dante Alighieri